Tractor around Gunite pool

Apr 17, 2012
I need to haul some dirt in around my pool, but concerned about a tractor (John Deere 45 HP with loader) being close to the pool. I'm not sure of the weight of the tractor, but with a bucket of dirt in the loader and a bush hog hooked to the back, it is a little heavy. I can get the specs on the tractor if needed.

Is there any concern of cracking the pool? Or any other damage I could cause?

thanks, Jed

How close are we talking? I would think that if your ground is not being compacted by the tires then you are not really changing the load on the outside of the pool.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

If your pool is installed correctly (and I assume it is) then running the tractor fairly close to the pool won't be an issue. That tractor probably weighs in the neighborhood of 6000 lbs loaded as you describe.

How old is the pool?
Why are you needing to haul dirt in?

The pool was built around 2007 or 2008, I think. I'm still trying to find the pool builder. I got the property through foreclosure and the original owner has fled the area. The pool is Gunite and around 28k gallons. The reason for the dirt is landscaping. In some areas around the pool, the ground is not even. I was going to put some dirt and grass seed and level it out. On the end of the pool with the diving board (near the pump), it drops off pretty good and makes it hard to cut the grass on a slant. I think erosion has occurred a little and I want to build it back up a little.

Also, on the areas right next to the decking, I plan to unload the dirt in a wheel barrel and haul to those spots. The closest the tractor will be to the pool is probably 10 feet or so.

These are some older photos I took before I opened the pool. The area looks alot better now, but I'm not out there to take any new photos. I will tonight. Just wanted to get some out.....these may not be the best to answer my question.

One more thing. As you can probably see, there are some pine trees near the pool (I'm guessing 30 to 40 feet). Any concern about the roots of the trees growing into the pool?

Thanks,

Attachments

• Pool landscape.jpg
    Pool landscape.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Pool landscape 2.jpg
    Pool landscape 2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Pool landscape 3.jpg
    Pool landscape 3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 171
You can freely use the tractor as close to that pool as you want. You're not going to do any harm even if you run it right along side it. Pines have tap roots that go deep but they don't have much in the way of peripheral roots. Even if they were closer, they wouldn't be an issue for the pool.

Melt In The Sun said:
I think you'll be fine, both with the tractor and the trees. 30-40' is pretty far, and as long as the pool isn't leaking water, the roots won't even know it's there.

Thanks..... one tree may be about 20 feet, but I need to measure to make sure. I got my backwash aimed in the woods behind the pump (pass the trees). Maybe the pine trees will find that water source. Now if I can just keep my buddies from riding jeeps, trucks, ATVs, etc. up to my pool! I think I put some electric fence up to get their attention.

Bama Rambler said:
You can freely use the tractor as close to that pool as you want. You're not going to do any harm even if you run it right along side it. Pines have tap roots that go deep but they don't have much in the way of peripheral roots. Even if they were closer, they wouldn't be an issue for the pool.

Good to know. I kind of like the trees close by in case someone wants to lay out with something skimpy on.....the best part of the pool is that it's protected by trees and build house. Who ever built was thinking like me!

jed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree, the trees should be back far enough as to not be an issue.

The tractor should be fine as long as you stay off the walkway around the pool, and you don't get very close after a really big rain where the ground is soaked, as old as the pool is the ground around it should be plenty packed and settled to support the weight of the tractor.

Agree to keep the vechicles back away, mostly because if they get that close then at some point they will be on the walkway, and possibly crack that, or worse end up in the pool, (Crud happens), plus spinning tires and throwing debris in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.