Can't Find the Leak

b1021

Dec 12, 2011
Just purchased a new home and I have a small waterfall feature in the front of my house, its probably about 10 gallons. I noticed it was losing water pretty fast. I did the bucket test and confirmed it was, outside bucket line was down 1/2 inch while inside was less than 1/4 inch. I tried to spot the leak using some red food coloring, but didn't see anything. Is there any other way to figure out where the leak is?

The waterfall is made of concrete.

Thanks!

Bucket test was done with the waterfall off correct? The falling water would evaporate more than the water in the bucket. Also best if the bucket is close to full at the same level as the water feature.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

jblizzle said:
Bucket test was done with the waterfall off correct? The falling water would evaporate more than the water in the bucket. Also best if the bucket is close to full at the same level as the water feature.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Yes - everything was turned off..the water was close to the same level inside and outside of the bucket.

If you have an area that you suspect, the red food coloring can work but the dye must be released VERY close to the leak and with utmost care. If you are just generally fishing around with the food coloring, it is REALLY difficult to check every suspicous spot.

You can call in an electronic leak detector but they are not always 100% and the are typically a little pricey....seems like someone has posted $200-300.

I know of no other effective way other than to just keep being a good detective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.