Looking for some guidance on replacement pool cleaner

Nov 19, 2009
Sacramento
Hello everyone, we have a 3 year old pool and it has a Hayward Navigator that came with it. I haven't been that impressed with it and have had to salvage parts from a buddy that had the same one and replaced it. Anyway, I think it's time for a replacement, as it pretty much does nothing to clean the pool anymore. Our pool is 16x32 with a 3 foot to 7 foot depth. I asked friends for recommendations, talked to pool supply stores, and I've narrowed it down to:

Barracuda MX8
The 4x Suction PoolCleaner

I'm certainly open to other recommendations, but these two seem to have some decent reviews and a good following. The pool doesn't get many leaves as there aren't any trees around. I do get some of that stringy stuff in it from time to time that seems to cause the MX8 some problems. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

i would buy a robot myself. they have their problems like needing to be repaired, but when they work, nothing can touch them. for me the amount I would spend replacing filters each week with a suction cleaner would be more than the extra cost for a robot.

robl45 said:
i would buy a robot myself. they have their problems like needing to be repaired, but when they work, nothing can touch them. for me the amount I would spend replacing filters each week with a suction cleaner would be more than the extra cost for a robot.

What do you mean by replacing filters each week?

jason92s said:
robl45 said:

What do you mean by replacing filters each week?

with a suction cleaner at least in my pool, it sucks straight into the filter, i would be replacing the filter every week.

I honestly dont see how it would be possible to need to clean (let alone replace) a cartridge filter every week due to the use of a suction cleaner. Now you might have to empty the pump basket once a week or more depending on the type of debris...but not the filter....no way. I would say every 2 to 3 months if that, depending on the pools condition and surrounding landscaping.

By the way, I have the 2x and it has been great so far. I'm going to buy the 4x steering cam for it so it travels further before initiating a turn sequence. Go with 2x or 4x over the MX8 for sure...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jason92s said:
dd50 said:
I don't replace my filter but clean it when it gets dirty and it isn't every week.

Same here. My 4 cartridge filters are 3 years old, I clean them 3 times a year. They still look pretty good. Hopefully I'm not doing something wrong here.

i wish mine would last like that, I have a one cartridge system. if it gets slightly dirty, the jacuzzi jets don't work well. We had a pool guy here and he used a suction vac and ruined my brand new filter, it was black when he was done and they only clean up so well.

robl45 said:
jason92s said:
dd50 said:
I don't replace my filter but clean it when it gets dirty and it isn't every week.

Same here. My 4 cartridge filters are 3 years old, I clean them 3 times a year. They still look pretty good. Hopefully I'm not doing something wrong here.

i wish mine would last like that, I have a one cartridge system. if it gets slightly dirty, the jacuzzi jets don't work well. We had a pool guy here and he used a suction vac and ruined my brand new filter, it was black when he was done and they only clean up so well.

Sounds like you need to upgrade to a bigger filter.

If debris leaves etc are a big problem just install a leaf canister. I have one just because of the occasional large leaf and I'd rather not risk it clogging the suction pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.