Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for some guidance on replacement pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for some guidance on replacement pool cleaner

Hello everyone, we have a 3 year old pool and it has a Hayward Navigator that came with it. I haven't been that impressed with it and have had to salvage parts from a buddy that had the same one and replaced it. Anyway, I think it's time for a replacement, as it pretty much does nothing to clean the pool anymore. Our pool is 16x32 with a 3 foot to 7 foot depth. I asked friends for recommendations, talked to pool supply stores, and I've narrowed it down to:

Barracuda MX8
    The 4x Suction PoolCleaner

I'm certainly open to other recommendations, but these two seem to have some decent reviews and a good following. The pool doesn't get many leaves as there aren't any trees around. I do get some of that stringy stuff in it from time to time that seems to cause the MX8 some problems. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for some guidance on replacement pool cleaner

I have a two wheel TPC for a pool almost the same size: 16X32X6 at the deepest, 3.5 at each end. Similar use as you describe. No problems with it at all.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    I have a two whel TPC or a pool almost the same size: 16X32X6 at the deepest, 3.5 at each end. Similar use as you describe. No problems with it at all.
    Thank you, that's very good to know.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have about the same size pool and I have to two wheel TPC. Had it about 2 years and love it.

5. Back To Top    #5

i would buy a robot myself. they have their problems like needing to be repaired, but when they work, nothing can touch them. for me the amount I would spend replacing filters each week with a suction cleaner would be more than the extra cost for a robot.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by robl45
    i would buy a robot myself. they have their problems like needing to be repaired, but when they work, nothing can touch them. for me the amount I would spend replacing filters each week with a suction cleaner would be more than the extra cost for a robot.
    What do you mean by replacing filters each week?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jason92s
    What do you mean by replacing filters each week?
    with a suction cleaner at least in my pool, it sucks straight into the filter, i would be replacing the filter every week.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't replace my filter but clean it when it gets dirty and it isn't every week.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dd50
    I don't replace my filter but clean it when it gets dirty and it isn't every week.
    Same here. My 4 cartridge filters are 3 years old, I clean them 3 times a year. They still look pretty good. Hopefully I'm not doing something wrong here.

10. Back To Top    #10

I honestly dont see how it would be possible to need to clean (let alone replace) a cartridge filter every week due to the use of a suction cleaner. Now you might have to empty the pump basket once a week or more depending on the type of debris...but not the filter....no way. I would say every 2 to 3 months if that, depending on the pools condition and surrounding landscaping.

By the way, I have the 2x and it has been great so far. I'm going to buy the 4x steering cam for it so it travels further before initiating a turn sequence. Go with 2x or 4x over the MX8 for sure...

11. Back To Top    #11

Same here. My 4 cartridge filters are 3 years old, I clean them 3 times a year. They still look pretty good. Hopefully I'm not doing something wrong here.

i wish mine would last like that, I have a one cartridge system. if it gets slightly dirty, the jacuzzi jets don't work well. We had a pool guy here and he used a suction vac and ruined my brand new filter, it was black when he was done and they only clean up so well.

12. Back To Top    #12

i wish mine would last like that, I have a one cartridge system. if it gets slightly dirty, the jacuzzi jets don't work well. We had a pool guy here and he used a suction vac and ruined my brand new filter, it was black when he was done and they only clean up so well.
    Sounds like you need to upgrade to a bigger filter.

If debris leaves etc are a big problem just install a leaf canister. I have one just because of the occasional large leaf and I'd rather not risk it clogging the suction pipe.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

Appreciate all the help. Starting to lean towards the 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner. Just gotta find a good price and pull the trigger.