Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of super fine silt

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting rid of super fine silt

First off dirt is part of our pool. We live on a dirt road and the road dust is a fact of life. I'm trying to find ways to capture that super fine silt that is collecting along the edges in the pool. I added a sock over the filter discharge - boy that puppy is ugly brown in no time - but there is still a "cloud" of brown blowing through whenever Rosie (our Hayward bug vacume) is at work.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the fine silt?
    Diane
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting rid of super fine silt

If a sock on the return is catching dirt then something is wrong with the filter. Most likely your sand is channeled. Take a look at this post which describes how to clean and resettle the sand bed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I also have same problem here in Arizona with all the dust storms. just purchased a slime polishing bag I can hook onto my outflow hose. I am hoping it will solve my problem. No amount of vacuuming or filter changes is working for me. We just had a nasty haboob here last weekend and just had no time to cover my above ground pool. It is supposed to filter as small as 1 micron of silt . I am hopeful as we get alot of dust storms here. Wish me luck. Btw My first post I am new today. Wish me luck. Dodi I am taking before and after pics.

4. Back To Top    #4

dodi here.
    Ok I received my slime bag yesterday. I hooked it to my outtake hose from filter . I had to plug it from inside and place bag and hose over top. I did remove my filter as it just plugs up too fast. I turned on pump, got in pool with push broom and started sweeping silt toward filter.
    It took roughly 4 hours . I did have to remove slime bag twice to hose off. But strong winds came in and 2 dust devils did their thing. I removed debris floating on top. Had to cover pool.
    Just got up removed cover. OH my gosh my pool is almost sparkling clean. I am absolutely sold on my new slime bag. As my pool under carport is only 12 feet diameter and 36 inches deep more of a cooling off spa ha ha. Just the same I saved alot of money not buying a $60.00 vacuum, and an additional $30.00 to buy the bag that doesn't come with it. I found the bag online for $39.00 plus $10.45 shipping. A wise investment.
    I did take before and after pics. THEY ALSO MAKE THEM FOR IN GROUND POOLS AND LARGER ABOVE GROUND POOLS. I am smiling from ear to ear. Now I can put my filter back in pump and have a nice float. If anyone else has silt problems I absolutely recommend this product.
    Dodi

5. Back To Top    #5

congrats!! and welcome! I would love to see your pics, I have fine particles that bug me too.
    22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan

6. Back To Top    #6

Dodi here.
    Pics in digital camera. Would be so happy to share them. I don't know if I am allowed to post them here. Any suggestions ? Will upload them onto computer.

Thanks Dodi

7. Back To Top    #7

Dodi here
    I am being careful not to get in trouble. I don't want to say company or where I bought product. But would certainly tell anyone that has silt problems. Should I give email addy?
    Dodi

8. Back To Top    #8

You can upload pictures to a photosharing site like webshots or photobucket, or attach them to your thread.

If it's a good product, share the info. People only get annoyed when a company posts phony threads.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Dodi,
    OK I am not computer literate , so how would I attach them to a thread? and btw what is a thread? If I post them to photo bucket or web shots how would you see them?

I tried to go to my info file but could not figure out how to post my email addy. thanks for your help.

dodi

10. Back To Top    #10

Underneath the reply text editor, see "Upload Attachment". Under "filename" browse to select the photo on your PC, hit preview to see how it will look.
    22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan

11. Back To Top    #11

Dodi,
    OK got it thanks so much. Uploading now. I am just so happy. Am I allowed to tell you the product company and where I bought it? it is all about saving money, time unnecessary head aches.
    Thankie Dodi

12. Back To Top    #12

If your pool is on any kind of high ground you could use a siphon to suck all the fine dirt out. You will lose some water but if you did it fast around the edges it would not be so bad.

13. Back To Top    #13

Dodi:
    already tried to find a siphon as I bought one 7 years ago. It worked perfectly for as long as it lasted. I could not find another one on todays market. And u are right I had to let pool water out of pool. This way no water loss and i have an almost clean pool except for the new dust storms. Now no water loss a little work and my pool is almost perfect. thankie .
    Dodi

14. Back To Top    #14

dodi:
    Ok went to photo bucket I have to pay to post. then went to the other site . so am just going to post my email. I so want to share my results and this sucks. My digital camera takes to large of pic to even resemble the the limit , not one pic fits the requirement. I tried to downsize them to no avail. Will get some help.
    thanks again for trying to help me. Dodi

15. Back To Top    #15

If you're using the "Quick Reply" Click on the "Full Editor" button...
    You should be able to add the pictures from there.
    -wc
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

:mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

16. Back To Top    #16

All you need for a siphon is a garden hose. Tape the end of a garden hose to a pole. Fill the hose with water and put the other end lower than your pool. You could even catch the water in a bucket and let the dirt settle. Then pour the top part of water back into the pool. I used to vacuum my pool this way until I bought a cordless vacuum. If you don't have a spot close by that is lower than your pool this won't work.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by dodi29az
    Dodi:
    already tried to find a siphon as I bought one 7 years ago. It worked perfectly for as long as it lasted. It cost me $50.00 and found it at Leslie's pools. I called them to buy another one they said they were no longer on the market. I could not find another one on today's market. largest one I found fit an oil drum. And u are right I had to let pool water out of pool. This way no water loss and i have an almost clean pool except for the new dust storms. Now no water loss, a little work and my pool is almost perfect. t hankie .
    I 'm all flat here thanks for the information. I love ingenuity i am sure many others can try this .

Dodi

18. Back To Top    #18

Dodi:

I am so glad someone else has the same problems as I do. I just want to let others know about my findings. This is always a problem here in the lower desert as we get so many dust storms and dust devils which visit us so unexpectedly. It is a constant battle as i don't want cover pool in daytime. And there is no warning when dust devils come thru. thanks everyone for helping me, you are all very kind.
    Dodi

19. Back To Top    #19

Dodi here,
    Ok my family member is here going to try to make my pics smaller. Hope to be able to post them. using the slime bag for 3rd time today to finish cleaning pool.This Is an amazing product. Made by cleaner pools.net but they don't sell it. It is sold thru distributors. I bought mine thru H2Opoolproducts.com. In Calif. as they were the closest to me in Az. and also had the best price. Please go read about it. Different bags for different size pools. will try to post pics .
    Dodi

20. Back To Top    #20

Dodi
    here the pics of before and after:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast