Ascorbic Treatment--gone bad??

May 26, 2011
So I did an Ascorbic treatment last week to remove some metal stains. The treatment worked well and I used 2lbs of AA and 2 quarts of the pink stuff.

After rebalancing my water I can't keep any FC. Last night I had an FC of 0 so I added 2 jugs of liquid chlorine (bleach) and this afternoon I had FC of 0!!!

Any idea of why?? Do I need to shock?

Ph 7.2
FC 0
Ta 110
Borates 50
Ch 300
Cya. 70

Ascorbic acid and chlorine destroy each other. It is normal to have trouble raising the FC level after an AA treatment. Just keep adding small amounts of chlorine and it will eventually hold. You don't want to add too much chlorine all at once because that can cause the metal stains to reappear.

Alrighty, well my favorite part about TFP is learning something new everyday! Today I learned that Ascorbic acid and chlorine destroy each other (thanks JasonLion!). I would follow Jason's advice and continue adding small amounts of bleach. :cool:

blakej said:
Alrighty, well my favorite part about TFP is learning something new everyday! Today I learned that Ascorbic acid and chlorine destroy each other (thanks JasonLion!). I would follow Jason's advice and continue adding small amounts of bleach. :cool:

I just did the AA treatment with some coaching from this site and I couldn't believe how much chlorine the AA ate up. It took me over a week to get my FC level to hold.

kizerman said:
blakej said:

I just did the AA treatment with some coaching from this site and I couldn't believe how much chlorine the AA ate up. It took me over a week to get my FC level to hold.

That's good to read...I will just keep adding enough for 4 ppm until it holds

2 pounds of ascorbic acid would neutralize about 6.86 ppm of chlorine in a 14,000 gallon pool. (2) 182 ounce jugs of 6 % bleach would add about 13 ppm of chlorine.

The rest is probably residual chlorine demand from built up organics and algae that grew while the FC was 0. I like to use a full dose of 60 % PolyQuat algaecide before dropping the FC below 7.5 % of the CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.