Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ascorbic Treatment--gone bad??

1. Back To Top    #1

Ascorbic Treatment--gone bad??

So I did an Ascorbic treatment last week to remove some metal stains. The treatment worked well and I used 2lbs of AA and 2 quarts of the pink stuff.

After rebalancing my water I can't keep any FC. Last night I had an FC of 0 so I added 2 jugs of liquid chlorine (bleach) and this afternoon I had FC of 0!!!

Any idea of why?? Do I need to shock?

Ph 7.2
    FC 0
    Ta 110
    Borates 50
    Ch 300
    Cya. 70
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Ascorbic Treatment--gone bad??

What size 'jugs' did you add? And what was the concentration?

Do you currently have and CC?

3. Back To Top    #3

Ascorbic acid and chlorine destroy each other. It is normal to have trouble raising the FC level after an AA treatment. Just keep adding small amounts of chlorine and it will eventually hold. You don't want to add too much chlorine all at once because that can cause the metal stains to reappear.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

182 oz jugs 6% bleach and no CC

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Alrighty, well my favorite part about TFP is learning something new everyday! Today I learned that Ascorbic acid and chlorine destroy each other (thanks JasonLion!). I would follow Jason's advice and continue adding small amounts of bleach.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    Alrighty, well my favorite part about TFP is learning something new everyday! Today I learned that Ascorbic acid and chlorine destroy each other (thanks JasonLion!). I would follow Jason's advice and continue adding small amounts of bleach.

I just did the AA treatment with some coaching from this site and I couldn't believe how much chlorine the AA ate up. It took me over a week to get my FC level to hold.
    8000 gallon outdoor inground vinyl. Sand filter, Hayward 1HP.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kizerman
    Quote Originally Posted by blakej

I just did the AA treatment with some coaching from this site and I couldn't believe how much chlorine the AA ate up. It took me over a week to get my FC level to hold.
    That's good to read...I will just keep adding enough for 4 ppm until it holds

8. Back To Top    #8

2 pounds of ascorbic acid would neutralize about 6.86 ppm of chlorine in a 14,000 gallon pool. (2) 182 ounce jugs of 6 % bleach would add about 13 ppm of chlorine.

The rest is probably residual chlorine demand from built up organics and algae that grew while the FC was 0. I like to use a full dose of 60 % PolyQuat algaecide before dropping the FC below 7.5 % of the CYA.