Spring Opening is so much fun!

Have to tell you warm weather folks that I don't know how you get through your Spring openings/maintenace every year. This is my first opening with the new IG pool but we had an Intex for years that we typically opened in late May or early June here in NY. I had pavers and coping put in this year surrounding the pool and to take advantage of the early year deals, had to open the pool in the beginning of March. It has been a CONSTANT battle against leaves, pollen, oak stringers, bugs etc and it seems like a constant battle against the elements. Thanks to BBB I opened to a crystal clear pool though so I am quite thankful for that and have kept my numbers good so far this year.

One trick I did learn here that has helped exponentially is the pantyhose (knee highs) in the skimmer baskets trick. This has really helped me catch a significant amount of the finer (and even not so fine) stuff out of the pump strainer and ultimately the filter. I clean them out every two days and typically replace them every week or so. Was able to get a box of 10 for about $5 so they are significantly less then skimmer socks in my local pool store.

Thankfully everything has been working well expect for the kids going nuts wanting to go in the pool even though it hovers between 60-70 degrees and weather has been too inconsistent to turn the heat pump on. Actually let my 6 year old in over the weekend and fished her out when she turned blue :mrgreen:

No real question... just a general kudos for all of you who are lucky enough to swim year round or get to open in early spring and battle the elements.

Nice post, NY. Kudos to you for opening to clear pool water.

If it makes you feel any better, Every tree within a 1/4 mile of my pool has managed to deposit SOMETHING in it since last November. The White Oaks are particularly annoying this Spring, it seems.

There are times when I envy the folks in the desert Southwest who have no trees but all this green around us has a soothing affect and I don't think I could give it up. Well, back outside to clean out the skimmer baskets, again.

I'm surrounded by oaks and populars, the oaks are about done dropping their flowers but the populars are coming into their own!
It warmed here quickly but now we're having a few nights of low 40's mid 30's with 50's high(just my luck). Couple of weeks late opening due to having a 130 foot oak cut that was leaning over the pool. The BBB method took care of the green pool,just plenty of chlorine,and brushing and a little time was the perfect solution. This was my second opening and first closing was last year so I'm definetly still in the learining mode. One addition was the poolskim,it sure earned it's keep the last month. I'm even thinking of using a second one this fall when all the leaves decide to become just a pain instead of staying beautiful on the trees..

What kind of deals are you talking about that have you opening in March? Up here in NH I typically open this week (our April school vacation) but due to warm weather I opened last weekend. I got it up to 80 pretty quickly with my heat pump, worth it since it is pretty easy to keep it there now. I agree with the leaves issue, I sit out there and curse as I watch what I believe to be every leaf in NH blowing into my pool. I try to remind myself that I really have no complaints as a pool is a total luxury item...and a few beers usually help....

You nailed it NYU! Around here it is a steady procession of tree debris up through early summer. Usually starts with the pear dumping all of its blossoms into the pool. Then after the blossoms fall, the little green stem things fall off. I'm just about done cleaning up, when the oak drops its catkins. Oak cycle completes just in time for the neighbors pecans to drop their catkins. Just when I've had enough, the cottonwoods start blowing fuzz everywhere. And of course throughout this time I'm fighting pollen, june bugs, and the juniper that drops needles whenever the wind blows.

Summer is easier though. I only have to worry about skimming never ending crape myrtle blossoms, and juniper berries. Oh, and juniper needles whenever the wind blows...

BigStein said:
What kind of deals are you talking about that have you opening in March?

If you commit early to the paver crews I found that the prices were several K less then the quotes I received mid summer last year. Yes I said THOUSANDS. So it was worth it to get everything done and we actually were able to get more than we originally wanted for less money. Can't believe you open so early and are so much further north! Even though our winter was so mild and spring so warm, it hasn't been over 55 degrees here on Long Island for the past week.

Awesome that you saved big bucks! I love to open early and close late...that is the reason I have a heater! I do it mostly for the kids (my 9 year old will swim most any time) but I love being out there myself.

Hi all, I'm a newbie who posted elsewhere to begin swamp recovery of my foreclosure pool, and today have likely skimmed 7 times to remove maple keys.

Within minutes, it's like confetti soup. So someone here referenced pool skim, which I think I'd like to have bought yesterday ;) however, I'm in Michigan with gas heater, and it's been suggested to me that I'll be wanting a solar blanket.

Apparently, the tWo do no go together. Has anyone with heavy leaf traffic (my pool is beside a forest, plus heavily landscaped terrace) come up with a good combo to reduce surface litter AND reduce evap/conserve heat?

Eg, for people who use pool skim, do you use liquid cover or heatsavr or some such?

My irrational preference is to avoid a solar cover because there's not a lot of room and the pool is Grecian style shape and I want easy access when home alone, which is often.

So what do you guys find works best in heavily-treed sites? Thanks in advance and cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.