Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Caught my first frog in pump strainer basket.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Lakeland, FL

Caught my first frog in pump strainer basket.

A few days ago a frog jumped into our pool he went right for the bottom of the shallow end. Got the skimmer pole and scooped him out. Discarded him away from the pool in some bushes. Water temp is about 80 deg and we've been swimming for a month and a half.
    So this morning my wife told me she saw the frog again jump into the pool, be she said he climbed out. I need to clean the cartridge filter, when I shut the pump off, and bled off/equalized the pressure in the cartridge filter housing, I glanced down and saw a frog in the pool pump basket. He was dead, and floating back into the pool piping.
    Got the filter swapped out, turned on the pump quickly, to get the dead frog back into the basket, low and behold 3 seconds later, here's froggy. Kinda gross actually. Shut off pump, take off the lid, garbage can, here I come. Rinsed out the basket, and start all over. Seven seconds later I'm reading 5 PSI on the filter housing, about 50 GPM on the flow meter. Life is good.
    I'm not sure if the frog got in the system through the main drain on the bottom of the pool or if he got in through the skimmer basket when I emptied it out. (Its a floating weir style basket.) Maybe he was hiding in the tunnel, and when I removed the basket he jumped into the water and got sucked into the pump basket.
    I dread the day when I find a snake in the pool or basket.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Caught my first frog in pump strainer basket.

Years ago my boss had me look after his pool (backed up to golf course) while on vacation. The first time I went over there I could smell something was off. Opened the skimmer and there had to be 15 dead frogs in there. Worst part was I could not just dump them out since many of their legs were stuck in the basket ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a frog get sucked from the skimmer back to the pump a couple summers ago. I'm sure it was an ugly ride for him, but he was alive. Not sure how long he lived, but he didn't look happy.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

4. Back To Top    #4
    Suffolk County, NY

I get a few every year that get sucked from the skimmer into the pump basket.

Ive never had one die yet. Sort of a roller coaster ride for frogs

Last year when it happened the poor little guy was limping around after. But he managed to hop away so hopefully he was ok
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100