Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump not working-- what do do while waiting on repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump not working-- what do do while waiting on repair

My pump is not working correctly -- the pump itself will run but the drive (control panel) part is not working correctly and it's not coming on and off at the scheduled times nor can we override the scheduled times if needed. The drive is bad, it's under warranty, and Pentair is sending a repair tech and new drive.

In the meantime, what do I do to try to keep my pool in shape? I'm not sure how long we'll be down or how much I can rely on the pump (and thus salt cell) to work.

How do I maintain the chlorine level and keep the ph in check if no circulation?

Thanks for your help!
    22,700 gallon, 16x38 rectangular gunite pool with midnight blue quartz plaster, SWG (Intellichlor IC40), Pentair VS pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, lakefront property

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump not working-- what do do while waiting on repair

I am confused. Will the pump run or not? You state it runs but the control panel is bad. I am surprised there is no way to just get the pump going.

You can just use bleach to add chlorine and acid to adjust pH based on what your test show you need and the poolcalculator.com for dosages ... although neither may be a good idea without circulation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We can get the pump going but then it shuts off outside of the scheduled/programmed times, so that's why I'm not sure how reliable it will be as in how long I can keep it running to circulate water. I cannot adjust the pump speeds either, so when it runs, it runs on a low speed.

I should've been clearer. My question has to do with what you, Jason, said: without circulation, is there anything I can do to keep it in shape? I didn't know if I could add bleach and acid without circulation.
    22,700 gallon, 16x38 rectangular gunite pool with midnight blue quartz plaster, SWG (Intellichlor IC40), Pentair VS pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, lakefront property

4. Back To Top    #4

If you happen to have a sump pump you could toss that in just to circulate the water while adding some bleach. Not sure I'd add that much at once just in case however.

I'd also use a solar cover until the pump is back up and running. Help keep some of the evaporation of the chlorine to a minimum.

edit....Ahh...so the pump does run sometimes. Then just add some bleach on your own and let the pump run for about 30 minutes to mix it in. Cover back up and let the pool take it coarse. The cover will keep much of the chlorine in for you.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ditto what Leebo said. If the pump will run at all just dump some FC in there and let the pump run for a little while to mix it up. When that fails you can dump soem in it and use a brush to mix it up well while brushing the pool which should be done anyway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the same problem last summer with my pump going down. I just added the liquid chlorine and brushed the pool to circulate the chlorine. I would go around the pool 1 or 2 times to move the chlorine around.
    Inground Grecian 20,000 gallons vinyl liner
    Hayward 250 BTU Propane heater
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa

7. Back To Top    #7

I would think that if you could run the pump for about 30 min. is all you need after adding chlorine.
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would add chlorine and brush well with the Wall Whale brush, it moves a lot of water.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.