Heating my Above Ground Pool

Sounds like solar would be an option for you. I would do it but solar panels are strictly forbidden in our "nature friendly" neighborhood.

If you do go with gas, check with your gas company about meter sizing. We had to bump our meter up because we have gas clothes dryer (line only, but counts in their calculation), gas water heater, gas stove and a furnace for the house. The pool heater put us over the current meter, but they were happy and quick about changing out our meter. (no cost because they have more sales;) )

Personally, a gas heater is nice in the fall when our pool doesn't get much sunlight and the overnight temps cool the water down quickly. But if you have the sun, it'd be nice to have it warm all the time.

Good luck and keep us posted!

MNPoolDreamer said:
Sounds like solar would be an option for you. I would do it but solar panels are strictly forbidden in our "nature friendly" neighborhood.

I see you have been fighting with your HOA, but there are federal laws protecting your right to solar heating (just like your ability to put up antennas or satellite dishes). How is solar heating your pool not more "green" than using electricity or gas??? :shock:

So glad I have moved out of a HOA to where we are now.

EDIT: Well doing a little research I was not able to find Federal Laws related to solar, but there are some states that have imposed laws about HOA preventing solar (CA and AZ for example).

EDIT2: HERE is a link to different state rules/laws regarding solar.

Solar may be an option , but when you do not have a full sunny area for the day the solar panel size must be bumped to compensate for the shade or short sun periods . On an 18' round I used a 100 btu heater and in 4 hours it would warm the pool fine , it was costly and I have boat loads of sun so I switched to solar.

I'm still here...and still agonizing. I was hoping my wife forgot about it, but she still wants heat for the pool.

Last summer, using only a blanket, the top 8-10 inches of water was comfortable, 75 degrees maybe. I know this is lame, but I need 78-79 for the entire pool. I wish we liked cooler water, but we just don't. If I can talk her into the solar panels, I bet I can accomplish my goal. Am I wrong about that?

If panels don't get it done, a heat pump would be other option.

How is this, if you can affort it or luck into, why not have some solar heat and either gas, propane, heat pump or resistive electrical too. I tried using solar and resistive heat last year. I have small Intex AGPs that we could not tolerate cold water with.....ok, didn't want to splash in cold pool. Found number of good to excellent gas heaters on Craigslist but cost to plumb for what was going to be a two, maybe three year pool experience for grand kids (and then torn down and pitched) didn't make it worth it. I ended up with resistive heater which I am treating like a temporary appliance. After we get down with pool time, trash that $400 heater....since I did all the electrical (with licienced oversight and inspection) saved bunch of money.

When the sun was out, valving took advantage of solar heat, when needed heat and solar wasn't cutting it, turn the electric heater on. Minimized alot of expense that way and it was fun automation project too. The biggest difference for me though (cost savings) was insulating the walls around the pool with 1/2 insulation (and made cool cover that hid it all), and after kids out of pool, I put same type 1/2 insulation (pieces cut from 4x8 sheet) on the surface of the pool and that was the key to heating. Small solar heaters were able to easily keep pool at 90 degrees without any electric heat. Outside temps in low to mid 70's I was able to do that.

So if you have the options and the money, I would recommend a "hybrid" system if you want to maximize your pool experience. Now that said, the more I am starting to find that grandkids be Darn, wife starting to say we MUST have pool, kids or not. So looking at how horrible it will be to dig ditch and put gas line in. Also looking at making better solar panel setup too.

Understand your troubles in making a decision. I would suggest unless you know good solar panel people, I wouldn't put solar on the roof of my house......heard way to many horor stories. I don't need that, I have enought problems keeping everything up now.

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.