Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convert from chlorine to salt???

1. Back To Top    #1

Convert from chlorine to salt???

I am in the initial stages of planning a remodel of our in ground pool. I am trying to decide if I want to remain using chlorine or convert to a SWG system. I have thought about adding the liqudator if I keep with chlorine, but at the same time I have been trying to research various SWG systems.

I am located in southern CA. My pool is odd in shape, I am guessing somewhere around 25-28k gallons based on the average dimensions and depth. There is no spa or any plans to add one. We will be adding a waterfall feature during the remodel.

I maintain the pool myself, and at times get so busy with the kids and all their activities that I fail to keep up on the chemicals/testing.

Looking for some insight on what direction I should go.........any suggestions on going the route of the Liquidator or a SWG system? If a SWG, what system would you recommend?
    Dr. Mary, Brooksville, FL 1)3800 gals Intex pool, 16 x 42, 95% direct sun 2)Cartridge Filter 2500 gal. (Intex) 3)AG Pool 4)SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Convert from chlorine to salt???

Welcome

First, realize that a saltwater pool IS a chlorine pool. The SWG just "creates" the chlorine from the salt.

Going Liquidator or SWG is kind of a toss up ... many people here love both.
    If you go SWG, you want to find one sized for 1.5-3 times your pool size. For you that would mean at least a 40k cell.

Neither of them will allow you to neglect the pool, you still need to be testing FC and pH often to maintain the pool and be sure nothing is malfunctioning.

A SWG can tend to make the pH rise if your TA is on the high side requiring you to add acid to control the pH.
    A liquidator requires you to still haul all the liquid chlorine.

As can be seen HERE, it is hard to say if one of the other is cheaper.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

at times get so busy with the kids and all their activities that I fail to keep up on the chemicals/testing
    That puts an SWG in your future. Their single biggest advantage is convenience. They will free up some of your time and it sounds like you are in need of that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave, thanks for the recommendation. Any suggestions on which SWG's I should consider?
    Dr. Mary, Brooksville, FL 1)3800 gals Intex pool, 16 x 42, 95% direct sun 2)Cartridge Filter 2500 gal. (Intex) 3)AG Pool 4)SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I don't have one so I'll let others chime in. It seems like the technology is pretty much identical and you mostly pay for the size of the SWG (of course) but then how many bells and whistles you want.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you replacing all your equipment in the remodel? Considering any automation? There is something to be said about keeping the brands consistent, like using the same manufacturer of automation and SWG.

I know Pentair extends their warranty to 3 years if you purchase 3 items at the same time.

I have had and going to install a Hayward/Goldline SWG. From my readings here, Hayward seems like a solid middle-of-the-line SWG that has been around for a while. There are some that are cheaper and there are some that have more features for more money.

Like I mentioned before, up-size your cell so it will last longer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I currently have the Intelliflo VF, and a Quad 60 DE filter. No automation yet, but that is on my list of things to look at. I was considering the Pentair SWG to keep the brands consistent. However, I want to make sure I am buying a good quality model not just limiting myself to the Pentair name.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bduffield73
    I currently have the Intelliflo VF, and a Quad 60 DE filter. No automation yet, but that is on my list of things to look at. I was considering the Pentair SWG to keep the brands consistent. However, I want to make sure I am buying a good quality model not just limiting myself to the Pentair name.
    Given that info I would suggest getting the Pentair automation unit (EasyTouch) that controls the SWG and your Intelliflo. I think Pentair Intellichlor SWG are one of the top choices.

BTW, the IC40 would be adequate, but the IC60 might be a little better. Also note that the Intellichlor only has 20% increments by itself, but you could gain much more control of it at a later date if you got the EasyTouch.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

For me the SWG was the best invention on the planet. I hated dealing with chlorine, both tabs and liquid. I have a simple Hayward Swim Pure Plus and it works flawlessly. I bought the biggest cell and just keep it turned down to about 20%. It and the pump are on a timer and if you go on vacation you don't have to worry about not being there to add chlorine. The Ph creeps up slowly and I add a cup or so of liquid acid a week. Cheap stuff from Home Depot.

It is easy.
    13,500 gallon IG Diamond Brite Super Blue, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 300 lb Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Swim Pure+ SWG, Four 4X20 Fafco Solar Bears, Jandy Lite2 NG Heater, Borates, Blue Diamond Robot, TF100 & Refills, Taylor SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree with Brookwood. I planned an SWG into our system when we built our pool a couple of years ago, but I manually sanitized with liquid chlorine for about 6 months before I turned the SWG on.
    What a difference in convenience it made when I fired it up (Hayward SWG). I have gone on vacation for a week and come home to a sparkly pool in perfect balance (maybe a little acid needed).
    Highly recommended!
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

11. Back To Top    #11

I have an SWG because of my cousin's pool in San Diego. It was a lovely pool to swim in. I have had mine for 7 years and would absolutely go for it again. I have converted one of my neighbors as well (from a puck feeder).
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

In a heart beat!
    25x25x16 L shaped concrete, 4' to 6', 21,000 gal, PLP4 - Pro Logic System Control & Aqua Logic Salt Chlorine Cell, Hayward TriStar 1 HP, 24" Sand Filter, SunHeater Solar Heating System, ColorLogic Light, Jandy deck jets.

13. Back To Top    #13

I too love SWG. I actually bought an Aussie system....which used more salt than the standard U.S. built systems. My system is the CompuChlor 40K system, with self cleaning cell. It uses 5600ppm of salt...but I have had absolutely ZERO issues with it, and keep it turned way down as it really cranks out the chlorine. I've had it operating 3 seasons now. With the self cleaning feature I have NOT had to de-scale the cell yet.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Welcome

First, realize that a saltwater pool IS a chlorine pool. The SWG just "creates" the chlorine from the salt.

Going Liquidator or SWG is kind of a toss up ... many people here love both.
    If you go SWG, you want to find one sized for 1.5-3 times your pool size. For you that would mean at least a 40k cell.
    We're in the preliminary stages of putting in our first pool. I see that you recommend an SWG rated for 1.5-3 times the pool size. We are looking at a pool of about 15,000 gallons. I believe there are SWG's rated for 15,000 gallon pools, and that is what I was thinking of going with. What would be the problems of not "over-sizing" the SWG?

Thanks.
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

They are typically rated to be run 24/7 for the size recommendations.

It has been found that oversizing the cell and then being able to run on a lower setting makes the cell last longer ... more than offsetting the extra cost of the bigger cell.

Cells seem to typically last 3-5 years, but a smaller cell that runs more may be even shorter.

For 15k pool I recommend at least get a ~25k cell.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the reply, Jason.

From everything I am reading in the TFP forum, it sounds like when it comes to pools, the old adage "bigger is better" seems to apply to everything.
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Except pumps. For the most part smaller is better with pumps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

Anyone know if the power converter is the same with all the sizes of cells? IC20, IC40, IC60. The converter provides 35VDC to the cell so I suppose you could upgrade to a larger cell later if you wanted to.
    24k gal 16x38, spa 7x6, Colorscape Caribbean Blue plaster, Pentair Intelliflow, Hayward jacuzzi air pump, Pentair 520 filter, Raypak 336k cu-ni heater, Aquabot Turbo T... pool remodel finished 8/2012.

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, the power supply is the same for all cell sizes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School