Should I buy this pool?

Jul 12, 2011
NW Iowa
I found a used Doughboy pool online for $2000, it is 3 years old, and appears to be well taken care of. We would love to upgrade to a pool of this size.

This is some of what the owner says about it-
This pool comes complete with a solar heater AND a solar cover, pump, automatic cleaner, manual cleaning system, chemicals, and pool toys. It is 20 x 38 and 4 foot deep. The liner had a 10 year warranty, seven years left.

I would be responsible for taking it down and setting it up, which doesn't bother me at all. My biggest concern is how the liner will be after I set it back up.[attachment=0:u5lwipxq]omaha1.jpg[/attachment:u5lwipxq]

Attachments

• omaha1.jpg
    omaha1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 274
I agree, liners are rarely reusable unless specific precautions are taken before draining and even then its a gamble. Other than that, its good deal for all that. Buy a liner.

So you think even if I had to buy a new liner it would be a good deal?
What special precautions can be taken before draining?
Does anyone have a recommendation of where to get a replacement liner?
Thanks for your input.

Doughboy pools require their own liners due to sizing specifics. Look for a dealer listed with the BBB and price shop. A liner may possibly survive removal and replacement if kept wet the entire time to prevent shrinkage but its impossible to put back in exactly as it came iut and if it does fail you have lost all that labor, sand, water and time.

At 3 years old I think it would be worth a little effort trying to save that liner. I would get a large tub and when I drain it I would put the liner in the tub to protect it and keep it from drying out. The biggest problem you're going to have is lining up the skimmer and return but with some help you should be able to get them back in place. I'd recommend setting it with a shop vac before the first drop of water goes in it. That way you'll know if it's going to go back into place.

I'd recommend watching a few videos on installing an oval AGP so you know what your up against, the sides have to be done a certain way and it will be some significant labour. Not saying you can't do it, but just make sure you know what your up against.

I like the shop vac idea. I hadn't thought about that stuff needing to line up. You Tube is awesome I have watched a couple videos but will probably need to watch a few more before I really felt comfortable in the disassembling and reassembly of it. I made a call to a local Doughboy dealer and they said a liner would cost me $600-$700 for a 48-52" liner and $700-$100 for an expandable (up to 7'). Does this sound reasonable? If I had to replace it I would probably put in a deep end, with the expandable. I think I would ready to purchase this if I knew the liner would survive the move. Good deal or not I wasn't really shopping for different pool this year, but for $2000 I sure like the size of it, and it's only 3 years old. I'm still on the fence with this, but I really appreciate the input so far. Thanks.

It looks in good shape, but you are going to do quite a bit of work to move it from their yard to yours. I would assume you will need a new liner, and I would use that, and the fact that you are doing the work to take it out of their yard as price negotiation tools. Maybe give another call to the dealer to see how much a new pool of the same size costs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think if it was me... I would take a step back and rethink what your getting yourself into taking down that pool.
Price a couple of new pools out and then try to negotiate a deal. Your time is also worth something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.