My new project (re-plumbing my 1970 pool)

Apr 17, 2012
Here's my other pool. It is in a mess. It is around 40k (I think like 36 to 38K). Since I've been reading this forum (noob), I believe I can re-plumb this pool myself. I'm going to give it a try.

Background on the pool: It was built in 1970. It has PVC plumbing and old (no replacement parts available) gate valves. The gate valves were set up on a concrete floor and there is not enough room under them to cut them out (see photo)--unless I jack hammer the concrete. I'm not sure anything has ever been done to the pool, but I would guess the pump has been replaced a few times. It has an 1 1/2 Hayward pump.

Here's what I want to do: Since I am sucking air from the old gate valves, sucking air and leaking water from a few of the connections into the pump and sand filter (that's an old one huh?), I am going to totally re-plumb the system so I can stop some of the air/water leaks.

1st: I had to dig a hole next to the block retaining wall to get to the return/skimmer/bottom drain lines so I could cut them. I plan to come over the block wall instead of going through it.

2nd: I will re-do the plumbing inside the pump station, but here's my worry. That sand filter hasn't been touched (other than me changing the sand). I'm not sure if the plumbing is glued or what. I don't want to risk cracking the flo valve.

Based on the photos and post, what would you guys recommend on this flo valve? Can I find replacement parts for this one? Can a new one work on this type sand filter in case I break something? Should I just use a coupling into the pipe and not try to remove the fittings?

Thanks, jed

Attachments

• Pump operation.jpg
    Pump operation.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Pump operation 2a.jpg
    Pump operation 2a.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Pump operation(a).jpg
    Pump operation(a).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 156
Hey Jed, I am no master plumber, so I will leave it up to the other experts to assist you with that. BUT, I may be able to help with info about your multiport valve. Do you know what brand and model the sand filter is? If not, a picture of the entire unit (and label if possible) would be great. The next bit of info I will need is the measurement (center to center) between your inlet and outlet on your filter. Lastly, what size pipes do you have? Hopefully I can help you find a replacement valve!

blakej said:
Hey Jed, I am no master plumber, so I will leave it up to the other experts to assist you with that. BUT, I may be able to help with info about your multiport valve. Do you know what brand and model the sand filter is? If not, a picture of the entire unit (and label if possible) would be great. The next bit of info I will need is the measurement (center to center) between your inlet and outlet on your filter. Lastly, what size pipes do you have? Hopefully I can help you find a replacement valve!

The sand filter is a "Sea Blue" (see attached photo). The pipes are 1 1/2 inch. I forget to measure between the two pipes, but I got a good photo. See what you think.

Attachments

• Pumping station 2.jpg
    Pumping station 2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Pumping station 6.jpg
    Pumping station 6.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Pumping station 5.jpg
    Pumping station 5.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 99
Melt In The Sun said:
Looks like one of the tried-and-true valves. Looks like those fittings aren't sch40, so I'd make sure to replace it with the right ones :goodjob:

Thanks. Yeah, this valve has been going strong for years and years. I've have the pool since 1998 and not even opened the valve for cleaning (if it ain't broke). It does leak just a tad on backwashing, but not on filter. I think I've decided to cut the whole thing. The fittings will be changed out. I'm waiting on a friend in the pool business to come by and look at my intended project before I cut the pipes.

How about that sand filter? A classic! That baby can clean and move some water. My pool is between 36000 and 40000 gallons and I've never had any serious problems with filtering.

Thanks, jed

How about that sand filter? A classic! That baby can clean and move some water. My pool is between 36000 and 40000 gallons and I've never had any serious problems with filtering.
That's a beauty!! A new multiport and you'll probably get another 20 years!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.