Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Has anyone built there own sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Has anyone built there own sand filter?

I have a 55 gal drum converted to a sand and gravel filter for my 2400 gal pond much like this one http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthrea ... filter-DIY I know it's a long read but it gives very good instructions.This filter works excellent. I can build one for free except for the sand. I was thiking of building one of these for my pool and use regular pool filter sand. and not have to buy intex filters anymore. Has anyone else done this?
    5,000 gal above ground pool summer escapes pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Has anyone built there own sand filter?

For a swimming pool, the flow rates are a lot higher, and thus the filter tank pressure is a lot higher, making DIY filters somewhat problematic. It can certainly be done, but the designs which are practical for your average DIY type are much larger, and typically more expensive, compared to commercial filters.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

55 gallon drums are not designed for pressure. If you do some searching, you can find examples of injury caused by as little as 4 psi internal drum pressure. Pool filters operate higher than this.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

How much higher do you figure? I have two of these plumbed in parallel feeding my waterfall on my pond. each running just over 2200 gal per hour for a total of 4400 gal per hour. The intex pump that was on my pool was not running anywhere near that.This filter is not pressurized, but pump feed and gravity flow return.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gayler
    How much higher do you figure? I have two of these plumbed in parallel feeding my waterfall on my pond. each running just over 2200 gal per hour for a total of 4400 gal per hour. The intex pump that was on my pool was not running anywhere near that.This filter is not pressurized, but pump feed and gravity flow return.
    I took a look at your link and it was a different animal then what I was thinking. Is the air blower used for aeration? How do you clean a filter like this? The flow rate seems appropriate.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

The air bleed is for anti siphon, so if the pump is off the dirty water won't siphon back to the pond. To clean you block off the clean water return, open the dirty water waste, turn on your pump and your air blower and let it run for a few minutes, after that you turn off the blower, then turn off the pump let it sit for a few minutes. open the clean water return, close the dirty waste and turn the pump back on.

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you talking about building a bog filter?
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

8. Back To Top    #8

No. Look at the link in the first post.