Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Putting down sand for AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Putting down sand for AGP

I've heard some people putting a couple inches of sand under there pool, but I was thinking of building a 2x4 railing up sort of like you would form up to pour concrete, and then filling it with masonry sand. The form would keep the sand from shifting. Would this be a good idea?
    5,000 gal above ground pool summer escapes pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Putting down sand for AGP

Yes, it will keep your sand from escaping!
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...

3. Back To Top    #3

No, I would not. You can acheive a very nice " safety net" for your masons sand with a plastic vapour lining duct taped to the inside wall about 13" up and laying down the bottom. Any additional bulk edges and hardware inside the wall without nice slopes is one more thing your liner was never manufactured to conform to. Why all that work and wood when the plastic works perfectly?
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4

plastic vapour lining duct taped to the inside wall about 13" up Inside wall of what? Also what would 2x4's in a 17ftx17ft square hurt a 16ft pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

I think we have a miscommunication above. You're essentially putting the pool in a sandbox, which I think would be just fine.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! in the past I had trouble with the sand moving.

7. Back To Top    #7

i had a 20X20 sandbox for my intex it was nice and easy to set up the pool every year. I used 4X4 s with rebar to stake it in place

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    No, I would not. You can acheive a very nice " safety net" for your masons sand with a plastic vapour lining duct taped to the inside wall about 13" up and laying down the bottom. Any additional bulk edges and hardware inside the wall without nice slopes is one more thing your liner was never manufactured to conform to. Why all that work and wood when the plastic works perfectly?
    Can you tell me more about the vapor lining? I am still researching which AGP to buy and learning all I can before the boxes arrive. I did not see any info on this idea elsewhere? Are you taping the plastic so the sand is under or sand on top of it?
    Still researching for a 15' round AGP. Hope to order soon! Denver, Co area.

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't know if I should start another thread or not. Just wondering if my plan will work. Here's what I'm considering. Had a 12 ft. round pool and now will be getting a 12'x24'x53". I plan to construct a box with 2x6. fill with a couple inches class A tamped down. Then top up with sand and tamp down. This is what the locals tell me is the best idea. I have also come up with the idea of covering this with plywood, and then outdoor carpet. Pool will be taken down every fall. So, is this a good idea, bad idea, waste of money, just perfect, or unnecessary!! Thanks for any advice.
    GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd actually go with screenings instead of sand...it packs well, forms well and doesn't shift around like sand. It's what ALL of the pool installers around here use as the base of a pool setup.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Great. Thanks for the info.
    GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Pardon my ignorance but what are screenings ?
    18x33 Oval AGP. Unibead liner, Compupool CPSC 36 SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward, 200 lb sand filter, wedding cake steps, TFT 100, Pool Rover Jr. Liner pad and foam cove.

13. Back To Top    #13

gravel screenings...are basically what's left AFTER you take all the large gravel stones, pebbles and such away..you are left with a "sandy" type of material known as gravel screenings. They use it in alot of hardscaping with pavers, patio stones, etc as the base..because they can level it out and pack it down firmly.

Same stuff is great for the base of a AGP pool...you can level it, work it easily with rakes and shovels, and then you can dampen it down and compact it so it's a nice hard, firm surface.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump