Fiberglass strands showing through and itchy swimmers

Sep 6, 2011
NorCal
We bought our house in October. IG Gunite with fiberglass overlay done approximately 10 years ago. The pool inspection revealed 4 areas where small fiberglass strands could be seen popping up through the coating. Any recommendations on how to fix these areas or am I going to to have to resurface the entire pool? The largest area is no larger than 1' x 1'. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Any boat refinisher can patch the gel coat and make it look pretty good but I'd have a careful inspection of the rest of the pool done to ensure it's just a few places that need patching. Some pool builders can repair fiberglass and you might check with the local Pool Store to see if they know anyone that does that type of repair.

Bama Rambler said:
Welcome to TFP.

Any boat refinisher can patch the gel coat and make it look pretty good but I'd have a careful inspection of the rest of the pool done to ensure it's just a few places that need patching. Some pool builders can repair fiberglass and you might check with the local Pool Store to see if they know anyone that does that type of repair.

Hi Dave. It's been awhile since I was last on the site. I'm thinking that I could do it myself. I'm thinking of going to tap plastics to buy some gelcoat. Do you have any other ideas of where I could buy gelcoat? TY

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.