Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fiberglass strands showing through and itchy swimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiberglass strands showing through and itchy swimmers

We bought our house in October. IG Gunite with fiberglass overlay done approximately 10 years ago. The pool inspection revealed 4 areas where small fiberglass strands could be seen popping up through the coating. Any recommendations on how to fix these areas or am I going to to have to resurface the entire pool? The largest area is no larger than 1' x 1'. Thanks
    approx. 18k gal, IG gunite w/ fiberglass overlay, Polaris 280, Centurion 1hp/1.65 sf pump, AO Smith 3/4 hp/ 1.50 sf booster pump, Mytilus FMY-150 cartridge filter. Pool remodel has started and will be upgrading to Pebble Sheen Ocean Blue, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, LED multicolor or white light, and Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Pool automation and solar heat automation to come later.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fiberglass strands showing through and itchy swimmers

Welcome to TFP.

Any boat refinisher can patch the gel coat and make it look pretty good but I'd have a careful inspection of the rest of the pool done to ensure it's just a few places that need patching. Some pool builders can repair fiberglass and you might check with the local Pool Store to see if they know anyone that does that type of repair.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Fiberglass strands showing through and itchy swimmers

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Welcome to TFP.

Any boat refinisher can patch the gel coat and make it look pretty good but I'd have a careful inspection of the rest of the pool done to ensure it's just a few places that need patching. Some pool builders can repair fiberglass and you might check with the local Pool Store to see if they know anyone that does that type of repair.
    Hi Dave. It's been awhile since I was last on the site. I'm thinking that I could do it myself. I'm thinking of going to tap plastics to buy some gelcoat. Do you have any other ideas of where I could buy gelcoat? TY
    approx. 18k gal, IG gunite w/ fiberglass overlay, Polaris 280, Centurion 1hp/1.65 sf pump, AO Smith 3/4 hp/ 1.50 sf booster pump, Mytilus FMY-150 cartridge filter. Pool remodel has started and will be upgrading to Pebble Sheen Ocean Blue, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, LED multicolor or white light, and Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Pool automation and solar heat automation to come later.