New Pool Owner - Please Help

Sep 23, 2011
We bought a house late last year that has a pool (25,000 IG with SWG). We bought it just in time to put the cover on for the winter. I pulled the cover a few weeks ago to reveal a solid green pool. I got it cleaned and somewhat back to normal and we've used it a couple of times this month.

I want to take care of this thing myself and not hire someone to take care of it. So far, it's not going well. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and have read many of the "getting started" guides but am still really confused.

I'm having a few problems:

I have an error on my Jandy handheld that says - "General Fault - Check Aqua Pure"
Every time I test the water it shows 0 FC, even after I shock, it will read 0 a day later.
I'm assuming my SWG isn't working, so I need to figure out how to troubleshoot that.

I had my water tested a few days ago and they told me I needed to add 2 bags of salt (I was at 2600ppm) so I did that.

This week I've developed algae already (temps in the 70s). Yesterday I added some algae guard, and 3lbs of shock and brushed. Algae is gone today but now my water tests show vastly different numbers than they ever have. I am using a small Pentair kit for my tests. I should note that I have ordered the TF-100 kit and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

Today my PH shows above 7.8
FC = 3
My TA test took 10 drops to clear up
My acid demand test took 2 drops

I realize that the answers to every question I have are likely already in this forum dozens of times, but I don't know where to start or what to fix first. I'm hoping you guys can guide me along.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Hi, Steve,

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

1. If you haven't already, find the pool calculator and get familiar with it you are going to use it a lot.

2. Get a gallon jug of muriatic acid and lower your pH down to around 7.4 use the pool calculator to calc the dosage for you.

3. Each evening until your kit arrives, put in one small (96oz) jug of Clorox bleach......start tonight if you can.

4. Once your kit gets in, post a full set of test results, including CYA and we'll go from there.

You should have a thorough understanding of the article "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. ASk questions if you don't understand it.

When you get a chance, try to get a water sample just as the water exits the return into the pool. See if that sample shows any chlorine in it. That'll help us figure out if your SWG is working.

Don't mean to be catty, but you are better off staying out of the pool store. The advice many stores give is often confusing, at best, and often just plain wrong.

We'll all help you have your pool crystal clear and a lot less hassle in no time. :lol:

Thanks Dave I really appreciate it. So, it's possible that my SWG is working even if I'm getting the General Fault error code?

I'll apply what you've recommended here and get back to you with test results once my kit comes in.

I have a friend of a friend that has a pool company, so he told me he'd come out and test my SWG. He said the flow sensor is bad and quoted $428 for a replacement. Isn't that really high? Its a Jandy 1400.

Seems a little high, unless the flow switch is integrated into the cell and requires replacement of the cell as well.

Also, Jandy switched from a 2 port system to a 3 port system, so there could be plumbing changes required to switch the cell as well.

Well given that the part is less than $200, are they charging you > $200 labor? Or are they doing something beyond just replacing the sensor?

Would not hurt to talk to them and find out exactly what they were planning to do and then decided if you could just do it yourself.

The flow sensor prevents the cell from generating when there is not flow. So if it is not sensing flow when it should, that would prevent the cell from generating.

Does your manual explain what a "General Fault - Check Aqua Pure" could be caused by and how to troubleshoot?

jblizzle said:
The flow sensor prevents the cell from generating when there is not flow. So if it is not sensing flow when it should, that would prevent the cell from generating.

Does your manual explain what a "General Fault - Check Aqua Pure" could be caused by and how to troubleshoot?

Yes, it is generating this code at the control box.

172 - Flow Sensor service condition or flow sensor is unplugged

It simply says to contact a service professional.

If a faulty flow sensor could keep the unit from generating salt, that makes sense why I'm constantly seeing 0 FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My TF-100 came in and here are my first results
FC-0
PH-7.6
CYA-52
TA-110
CH-680!
Salt 2800

From what i've gathered CH is double what it should be, salt is low also.

FC at zero is likely a result of my SWG not working properly.

Am I missing anything? What do you guys recommend from the numbers above?

Thanks!

If you are ever seeing algae then you need to follow the shock process as described in pool school.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Yeah, with your FC at zero and the visible presence off algae you need to shock the pool. Please read the article in Pool School on how to shock, it is probably different than you think.

The CH is high but it can be managed easily enough by keeping your pH and TA in the lower ranges. Don't worry about it for now....shock your pol and get your water and pool walls crystal clear (sounds like you might need to brush some, too) and then we'll help you make some fine tune adjustments and compensate for the CH.

Yes, I have been brushing, it just re-appears after a couple of days. and I realize this is because I have no chlorine in the pool. I will shock it this weekend. My bigger concern is why I don't have chlorine in the pool? Is it safe to say my SWG isn't working?

Algae consumes chlorine. Your SWG may be producing chlorine but the Algae consumes it faster than it can produce. That doesn't mean your SWG isn't working.....it might be.

take a sample from directly in front of the return. It should show the presence of chlorine if your SWG is working.

The sensor is most likely bad and will need to be replaced. Jandy is having a lot of issues with this revision of sensor and they have a newer version released. The new version has a chip that was added at the cable end. Try contacting Jandy if they will replace the sensor under warranty. A new sensor should only be abuout $200 and is simple to install, basically it is plug-and-play. It takes about 4-5 minutes for the unit to calibrate itself with the new sensor everytime it is turned on.

For about $500-$600 you can get a new cell and sensor if you shop around. Make sure whatever you get, it includes the new style sensor.

Finish the shock process with bleach and any other time you need to raise the chlorine level in a hurry. The SWG is not meant to shock the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.