Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main Drain Suction Leak???

1. Back To Top    #1

Main Drain Suction Leak???

When I close the valve to the skimmer and only use the main drain, the pump basket does not fill up and I'm getting quite a bit or air in the filter; I can purge the filter and come back 30 minutes later and air is in the filter. I do not have a separate valve for the main drain and skimmer; it's controlled with a Jandy 3-way valve.

If I open the skimmer valve completely and partially close the main drain, the pump basket fills and very little air is in the filter.

I've tightened the skimmer lid, pump ports but no change.

The suction plumbing is 1.5"; is the pump not getting enough water with only the main drain open?
    SW FL, 19K IG with spillover & cage, Goldline Pro-Logic PS-8, Hayward Sense & Dispense, Hayward Swim Clear 4025, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Stenner MA pump, Aquabot, Hayward Aquarite SWG, Palin Pooltest 9, Helicol Solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Main Drain Suction Leak???

is the pump not getting enough water with only the main drain open?
    very likely
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So the air in the filter is coming from the air in the pump basket?
    SW FL, 19K IG with spillover & cage, Goldline Pro-Logic PS-8, Hayward Sense & Dispense, Hayward Swim Clear 4025, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Stenner MA pump, Aquabot, Hayward Aquarite SWG, Palin Pooltest 9, Helicol Solar.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Absolutely.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You most likely have an air leak under higher suction than normal and when you close the skimmer the suction goes up and it leaks in air. Basket o-ring, drain plugs, etc. Should be checked and the o-ring lubed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

What about lubing the o-rings for the 3-way valves; they are never-lubes, but I was wondering about the cover o-rings and shaft o-rings. I did lube/tighten the basket lid and drain plugs.

7. Back To Top    #7

They may need rebuilding.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Should I buy a bunch of O-ring kits or just try lubing them first? Are there any telltale signs that the O-rings are failing other than the obvious? None of the valves are leaking water on the pads.

9. Back To Top    #9

You can take a water hose and run water over them and see if the bubbles go away while it's running. If they do rebuild that one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Did that - the skimmer lid, fittings and no change. Should I take the valve actuators off and then spray water on the valves?

11. Back To Top    #11

Yep, but spray isn't exactly the term I'd use. More like flowing over as much of the valve as I could get .
    Dave J. TFP Moderator