Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to stain the deck.....????'s

1. Back To Top    #1

West Monroe, La

Time to stain the deck.....????'s

Time for the initial staining of our deck, I am sending the wife and kids out of town next weekend. Ofcourse our deck was built with pressure treated wood, it has been standing for about 9mnts and is weathered good.

What is everyone using these days? Need some advice on what stain/weather proof to use, pool is saltwater if that makes a difference.

27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tecumseh, OK

Re: Time to stain the deck.....????'s

We will be doing the same thing this coming may. Really not sure what use. On the pool deck at my parents I remember we used several different products from Behr to Olympic to cabots (sp?) and everything failed after a year or two. Theirs is pressure treated lumber as well and the last stain I believe that went down was a Behr product and almost all of the entire deck surface along with other horizontal areas are completely bare wood now. It completely just peeled off or wore off to bare wood. So now I'm also questioning what to use too. Wish I could say one worked better over the other but saddly I can't . I wish I knew tho. Lol

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

Patterson , LA

I used Olympic last year and mine is ready for another coat this year. I'm thinking of trying the deck restore product. Any one used this before?
    Tahitian 54" x 30' Round AG 23,000gl
    Sta-Rite 1 1/2 H.P 150 SQ. FT. Advanced MOD Media CartridgeFilter System
    50ppm Borate
    Liquidator 4 Gal
    TF-100 Test kit
    First time pool owner 2008
    BBB from the start

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Huntsville, Texas

I've done a lot of research and have heard many good things from the pros about this product.

It's rather expensive though. The fact is that no stain is going to last as long as paint in the hot southern sun.
    Good luck!

5. Back To Top    #5

I stained our deck around 2 years ago after we bought another house. Did a bit of research because I wanted something that would last. Ended up ordering some Woodrich stain. ... rs_s/2.htm
    I think I used the Wood-Tux Amaretto color, it's around 240 for 5 gallons. Well worth it in my opinion. It still looks good after 2 years!

Today(2 years later) ... 164638.jpg
    17,500 gallon in-ground 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump
    Hayward cartridge filter
    Dolphin Diagnostic Robot
    Jandy AquaPure Ei Salt Chlorinator 35K

6. Back To Top    #6

I have had great success with Sikkens, not cheap. ... olsrd.aspx
    16'X36' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Autopilot DIG-220
    Aquacal Heat Pump