Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does this booster pump install look correct?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does this booster pump install look correct?

Hi. As it turned out our booster pump was doing more than leaking. It was not working. We had someone replace it with a new one. This install does not look correct to me though. When I look at other installs, they have hard pvc pipe. Does this look correct or should I have him redo it? If redone? How should it be done correctly?

Also, how can I tell if I have a GFCI installed? I am worried about that too. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does this booster pump install look correct?

Where is the cartridge filter?

3. Back To Top    #3

Our filters are at the end of the pool under the baskets
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor

4. Back To Top    #4

The plumbing looks to be well done. I don't like the look of that electrical cord however. Electrical should be in waterproof flexible conduit (which is what the main pump appears to have).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Can someone show me a picture of theirs so I can see what it should look like? Is this something that they should have done on a a traditional install or should I have asked for them to do this extra? Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Booster pump installations usually use flexible piping just like yours has. Like Jason said, the plumbing look good.

On the electrical; was the old booster pump hooked up with that wire? If it was then the installers just reused what was already there. Changing the electrical feed to the pump wouldn't have been in their scope of work. If you want it to be right you'll have to hire an electrician or DIY it. The booster pump electrical hookup should look similar to your main pump hookup.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

This is exactly how ours is hooked up too... flexible hose and red clips. Doesn't seem to be a problem at all. However, I do agree with the other guys on the electrical cord though just laying out on the ground. Seems like alot of potential for something bad happening to that wire...

DMAN
    17,500g ; 16X32 Inground Vinyl
    Hayward 1hp ; SWG
    3/4hp booster on Polaris 280
    WHO DAT!
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone for your input! I will attempt to DIY a cover for the electrical....now where do I find more info on that? I am assuming DIY electrical piping will get me some feeds on here. Any other links would be appreciated.

9. Back To Top    #9

That looks like UF cord running to the pump, if so it is suitable for underground burial, the depth will depend on your local codes. You could run it underground from the source then terminate it at the the pump to come out of the ground covered in conduit like your main pump is. The guys at you local box store or electrical outlet should be able to assist you with what you'll need. Though, if you are not real familiar with wiring and safety involved, you might be better off hiring it out since there are dangers involved to those using the pool and servicing the equipment if it's not done properly. I also don't see a bonding wire attached to the pump.
    22K gallon free form pebble tec pool, non screened, surrounded by 3, 100+ year old Live Oaks (pure misery for 3 months every spring) elevated non heated spa, jandy cl340 filter, Pentair Inteliflo 3hp pump, Jandy 1400 swg, infloor cleaning system which has had all outlets removed due to uselessness of system with the organic load the pool carries and now low rp

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mrswhitsie
    Our filters are at the end of the pool under the baskets

Can you post a picture of those? I've never heard of these unless you're using hot tub type filters?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner