Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many hours to keep the pump on for 25k gal pool

1. Back To Top    #1

How many hours to keep the pump on for 25k gal pool

Hi I just had a simple question. We live in the Caribbean and our pool is approx 25k gallons. Here the sun rises at around 6 and sets around 6:30 PM. I was wondering what the ideal hours would be to keep the pump on and which time. We used to keep it on about 6 hours when the sun was hottest from 10 - 3 or 4 but lately we have only kept it on about 4 from 10 - 2 to save current and that still seemed to do the job but not sure in relation to mathematics what would be the best formula. Thank you!
    19,000 gallon in-ground, salt water, gunite pool. Aqua Rite chlorine generator, AL-0. Pool installed 2004. We've only owned the house/pool since 11/2009 and never owned a pool before this.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many hours to keep the pump on for 25k gal pool

Every pool is different. Without knowing what size pump you have I can't even give you a rough guess.

The best way to figure out what is ideal for your pool is experimentally. For details see the article in Pool School on determining your ideal pump run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dear Jason, Thanks a lot for your assistance! The pump is a 1.5 horse power Sta Rite! Regards, Quirin
    19,000 gallon in-ground, salt water, gunite pool. Aqua Rite chlorine generator, AL-0. Pool installed 2004. We've only owned the house/pool since 11/2009 and never owned a pool before this.

4. Back To Top    #4

with a big pool like that I usually run 12 hours to be on the safe side. 8am - 8pm or earlier if you like. we are also in the Caribbean.

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a fairly large pump. I suggest starting with a six hour pump run time and adjusting up or down from there depending on how things go. Ideally you want to split the six hours into two three hour periods spread out across the day, but if your timer can't handle that it isn't a big deal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    That is a fairly large pump. I suggest starting with a six hour pump run time and adjusting up or down from there depending on how things go. Ideally you want to split the six hours into two three hour periods spread out across the day, but if your timer can't handle that it isn't a big deal.
    why would you split the time? a pool owner does not know when swimmers will be in the pool. but most likely it will be daytime. The hottest time is most important to run the system.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I split my time because 2-3 shorter cleaning cycles are better than one long one. Again, I agree with Jason it's no big deal but I DO believe it makes my filtration more efficient.

I'm not sure I understand the relationship to pump run time and swimmers in the pool not do I think that the hottest part of the day is particularly relevant. I am not saying I am right, I just don't understand the reasoning.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatica
    with a big pool like that I usually run 12 hours to be on the safe side. 8am - 8pm or earlier if you like. we are also in the Caribbean.
    I think you can save a lot of money if you run it less. I ran mine for 5 - 6 hours for years and it worked perfectly, the water was crystal clear, once it was cleaned at least once a week. I am going to try the suggestions in doing 2 pool cycles for 3 hours each, one in the morning and one in the afternoon when it is the highest chance of people using the pool. I do agree that the hottest time is the best but yet I believe it is probably better splitting it up into two parts than doing one throughout the hottest part of the day!