Can the Intelliflo handle this setup by itself?

Terry

Jul 8, 2008
Dallas, Tx
In depth pool remodel in process, including replacement of all plumbing and equipment. Having to replace the complete jet assembly on the spa. Currently have AF Mark II jets (discontinued) with 1.5" air and 1.5" water. Considering going back with Hayward Jet Air III body as is most similar to current setup (1.5x1.5). I'm trying to determine if the system will be able to handle the gpm requirements, and if not, what the limitations will be.

All 2" suction plumbing; from skimmer, and from point of access on main drain. 2" plumbing from spa, which has a two points of suction, but Tees into one line at the spa shell.

Return plumbing all 2". One line to 3 return jets in pool. One line to 1 return jet and 3 waterfalls (more on waterfalls later). One spa return line to 5 jets.

Pump: Intelliflo
Flter: Pentair Triton II 30"
Heater: Pentair 300BTU
Pool 18,600 gallons, spa 470 gallons

If there's anything else you need to know, let me know. Pipe runs are all dug out so can give measurements if needed.

Questions:
Hayward has 3 jet types, pulse flo, variflo, and whirlflo. Considering mix & match on different types. Found whirlflo and variflo require 10 gpm, is this correct? And I can't find a rate on the pulseflo? What is the difference between whirlflo and variflo, ie what does each jet do that the other doesn't?

Considered plumbing the pool with the Intelliflo and spa with the current 2 hp Sta-rite pump, with plans to replace old pump when funds become available. However, the current electrical (20 amp 220) cannot handle both pumps per electrician- breaker box does not have room to add another 220 line. So, I'm stuck with the one pump unless someone has another idea.

For the waterfalls, I had planned to use the Oasis waterfalls, 3 on the back wall, either 1) 24" and 2) 18" or 1) 18" and 2) 12" depending on how much I can get away with gpm wise. However, I met with a contractor bidding the retaining wall yesterday and he suggested I scrap the Oasis and let him build them out of stone. He said he's replaced several of the sheer descents lately due to freezing. Plus, he said he can build all 3 for 150.00. I know this will take more gpm, but I don't know how much more.

In addition, I'm looking at 4 Jandy deck jets shooting into the spa. Not looking for them to go large distances, want them to converge in the middle of the spa, so about 4'.

Now for how I'm hoping to use the system:

Would like for the waterfalls and deck jets to operate simultaneously. Won't need the deck jets to operate when the spa jets are on, but if they did could turn them toward the pool. Think all 3 could operate simultaneously?

Would like for the waterfalls and spa jets to operate simultaneously (this is the one I'm worried about).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

If you want a nice reasonably high flow waterfall effect and want the waterfall(s) and spa to run at the same time you will want to have two pumps, one for the waterfall(s) and one for everything else. If you can settle for never running the spa and waterfall at the same time then one pump should be alright (though not if the waterfall gets much larger).

The Oasis waterfall and a "natural" waterfall will look different. Both are interesting. Some will like one effect better, others will prefer the other effect. The Oasis waterfall is good for getting a clean sheet of water coming over. Natural stone looks more natural, but you hardly ever get that perfectly clean uniform sheet of water effect (though really good stone people can come close).

The IntelliFlo requires 30 amps. Your electrical choices have a lot to do with how much you are willing to spend. The ideal setup is to run a single line for 60+ amps out to the pool equipment area and put a sub-panel right near the equipment. However, that can get pricy depending on how far you need to run the line and how close to maxed out your current main panel is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.