First test of 2012

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I just opened the pool last night. It was a bit chilly here, but went ahead and did it anyways, since the pool was starting to grow algae.

At Opening
Temp: 52
FC: 2
CC: 0
pH: 7.0
TA: 50
CH: 30
CYA: 20
Salt: 1530

I treated it last night, woke up this morning and here are the new numbers.
Temp: 48
FC:13.5 (after sitting for a few seconds the liquid would change back to red after it was clear, issue?)
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 80
CH: n/a
CYA: n/a (added but i know it takes awhile to register)
Salt: +120lbs of salt (need to purchase some more)

Changing back to red is normal.

If your pool is green, you need to shock per the method in Pool School. If it is crystal clear with just a hint of algae, you could perhaps just elevate the chlorine for a few days but I would suggest you do the full shock procedure and get your pool crystal clear for the swim season.

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the info on the change back.

As for the shock process, that's what I was currently working on doing. Got up before any sun was on the pool to test the levels.
I have my SWCG running as well to help maintain the higher level so I don't have to keep adding as much Chlorine to the pool.

I'll need to backwash my filter this morning as well, since the pressure has risen a good amount over night.

Yeah, becuase the SWG keeps the Chlorine levels consistent and higher since it's a constant feed.
Should have specified that I was checking my other levels from the chemicals I added.

I know that I'm unable to tell if shocking is done with the SWG running at night, since it's constantly adding chlorine to the pool.
I was running the SWG for a full 24 hours plus to make sure the chlorine will kill off anything in there. And so the SWG will register the new salt levels from adding salt.

Tonight I'm going to shut it down and test, then test first thing in the morning to see if the levels are holding to find out if i'm done shocking.

Water looks nice and clear, except for some dirt at the bottom of the pool.

Other than the above, I think my numbers are heading in the right direction. I'm shooting for where I was last year, since i seemed to have very little issues with the water maintaining those numbers.

Thanks again Dave.

Just thought I'd follow up with a few pics. Now I can't wait until the water is warm enough to get in. 50 is a bit too cold.

Opening Day:
photo1dd.jpg

2 Days Later:
photo2fs.jpg

Yes, I've learned a lot from this site, and I appreciate those who put their own time in to maintaining this site and to help everyone on the forums maintain and understand their pools. :lovetfp:

Just wish I would have found it prior to my pool build a few years back. There are a few things I would have had them do differently.

It took me awhile to convince my wife to let me switch and try the BBB method instead of taking the numbers to the pool store, but after I did, she is very pleased with it. I've been doing the BBB method for about 2 1/2 years until I switched to the SWG last season.

was doing the BBB method for about 2 1/2 years until I switched to the SWG last season
I ALWAYS have to comment on that.....You are STILL doing the BBB method!! BBB is not about using a particular set of chemicals. It is about testing carefully and understanding what the tests mean and then, what to do about the results.

You are a BBB'r....resistance is futile :shock: :shock:

That's what is frustrating about this year! It got warm enough that my water was hovering around 60, so I opened... Knowing that there was a good chance of it being too cold for swimming, almost a month later the water has been close to 70 for about 2 days. Over the past 3 weeks or so it could have been closed most of the time. That 80+ week in March got things started and is now letting me down!

Sure is nice to look at a clear pool instead of an ugly cover! I'm ready for May to bring some consistent 80+ and sunny days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.