Impeller Question

Apr 21, 2012
Hi everyone, new to the forum and new to owning a pool (as of a few months ago), but I have been poking around here a lot to solve my problems and it has been very helpful so thanks.

Anyways, my pump started making an odd rattling noise, I checked for air leaks and couldn't find any. So I decided to take the pump apart to see if the impeller was broken, what I found was a small piece of plastic wedged into the impeller (I have a Pentair Challenger 0.75 HP, the impeller is black plastic similar to the foreign object), it didn't look as though it came from the impeller as I couldn't see any damage. Should I just replace the impeller anyways? I should have thought of this before putting the thing back together. The plastic part was maybe 0.5cm x 3 cm, and too big to have fit through the hair trap.

Also, after putting it all back together, I noticed I was getting a leak in the shaft somewhere, so decided to replace the shaft seal. The previous owner had put the seal in completely backwards and used some kind of putty to attach it, is there a reason they would have done this? I put the new seal in the correct way per Pentair's manual. It seems fine now and I don't see any leaks, and the pressure/flow is good, I'm just concerned it will spring a leak and drain the pool when I am away...

Thanks, Bama. I should have said that the pool/pump aren't new, we just bought a house with a pool a few months ago. It seems to run better than before now, so I guess it is fine and I was just being paranoid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.