Skimmer and main drain?

Jun 1, 2011
Kenton, TN
Hello again,
This year's reopen has been soooo much better thanks to everything I learned last year on this forum. THANK YOU again!

My simple question: When the valve is open for the pump and filter to get water from the skimmer, is the valve for the pump and filter to get water from the main drains also supposed to be open?

Cheryl R.
Kenton, TN
22,000 gal AG vinyl liner sand filter

What about when I try to vacuum? This is my 3rd summer with the pool, and I have never been able to get any suction. I've been careful to prime my hose, and I think the problem may be that I am short and reaching over the pool and trying to get the thing in the skimmer is difficult. I figure I may lose the prime in doing this, but today I wondered if I would get more suction through the skimmer with the main drain closed.

Cherylr said:
What about when I try to vacuum? This is my 3rd summer with the pool, and I have never been able to get any suction. I've been careful to prime my hose, and I think the problem may be that I am short and reaching over the pool and trying to get the thing in the skimmer is difficult. I figure I may lose the prime in doing this, but today I wondered if I would get more suction through the skimmer with the main drain closed.
Yes. That's been your problem all along, most likely.

I pull about 1/3 of my water from the main drain. It helps even out the temperature. There's none of that cold water stratification when you dive down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.