Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer and main drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer and main drain?

Hello again,
    This year's reopen has been soooo much better thanks to everything I learned last year on this forum. THANK YOU again!

My simple question: When the valve is open for the pump and filter to get water from the skimmer, is the valve for the pump and filter to get water from the main drains also supposed to be open?

Cheryl R.
    Kenton, TN
    22,000 gal AG vinyl liner sand filter
    Cheryl Reddin
    Kenton, TN
    21200 gal., AG vinyl, ? HP, two speed Millennium A.O. Smith Century Lasar pump, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer and main drain?

I leave my MD valve about 1/2 way open and skimmer all the way open. This will help with. Circulation in the deep end and if your water gets low your pump will not be starved for water.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

You can have both open if you like. That way, you can pull some water from the bottom of the pool as well as from the top.

4. Back To Top    #4

What about when I try to vacuum? This is my 3rd summer with the pool, and I have never been able to get any suction. I've been careful to prime my hose, and I think the problem may be that I am short and reaching over the pool and trying to get the thing in the skimmer is difficult. I figure I may lose the prime in doing this, but today I wondered if I would get more suction through the skimmer with the main drain closed.
    Cheryl Reddin
    Kenton, TN
    21200 gal., AG vinyl, ? HP, two speed Millennium A.O. Smith Century Lasar pump, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Cherylr
    What about when I try to vacuum? This is my 3rd summer with the pool, and I have never been able to get any suction. I've been careful to prime my hose, and I think the problem may be that I am short and reaching over the pool and trying to get the thing in the skimmer is difficult. I figure I may lose the prime in doing this, but today I wondered if I would get more suction through the skimmer with the main drain closed.
    Yes. That's been your problem all along, most likely.

I pull about 1/3 of my water from the main drain. It helps even out the temperature. There's none of that cold water stratification when you dive down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!