Anyone using SOLAR SUN RINGS?

djcodyblue said:
To answer some of the questions raised about the Solar Sun Rings.

We have an in ground pool and live in the Houston, TX area. We received Solar Sun Rings for Christmas and have had them in ever since. Our pool today is 74 degrees and our friend's pool with more sun is 55 degrees. The rings cover about 70% of the pool and move along with the hose from the pool shark. Occasionally one will bend over a bit, but not often. Inflation....I'm probably slightly over inflated, but the under inflated ones collect more rain water.

WE chose these over a full cover because we have dogs and didn't want them to get stuck in the cover if they fell in the pool.

I agree. They work just difficult to deploy and store.

Re:

Wee Heavy said:
Last year some similar comments convinced me not to try these. Although I love the idea.

This year I intend to build my own similar 'Floating Solar Disks' based on plans I got on ebay.

They are essentially sturdy frames with standard solar panel material attached. Obviously I am concerned that I might spend just as much money PLUS a lot of energy and not be happy. Ergh. I expect I will do it anyway.

Hey Wee Heavy...just curious if you ever did build these, and if so, was it successful?

Well...despite the negative comments here...the wife and I bought eight rings. We're desperate for help, as last summer our pool never got above 78 degrees, even on 100 degree days. The wife wanted to try these as she doesn't like the look of a solar blanket (the pool is all you see from several windows in the house) and she doesn't want a roof solar water heater as she is afraid it will leak and ruin the roof.

So I'd say we need to buy three more to get full coverage for the pool. However I am thinking they are helping. Our pool water was 78 degrees today, while the air temp was 89 degrees. That's the warmest its been this year.

There is some problem with leaves getting trapped between the rings, instead of sucked into the water return. I've only been using them for a week, so I can't yet report on their durability. They were relatively easy to inflate, and a little bit of a pain in the butt, but I'd imagine a blanket is too.

As a former user, let me chime into this ancient thread:

The do work and they work well for about two years, 2011 - 2013, then they crack and are useless. For whatever reason, the plastic will not stand the test of time. I can't get a straight answer as to whether the plastic has been changed, but I have pool toys that have lasted 5 years. I would trade some performance for longevity.

The web site annotates all problems with an explanation of what the user did wrong. Obviously, they don't feel it's their materials.

My cost ended up being about $ 200 for two years worth of performance.

If they have changed the vinyl, then I'd try them again.

We had the solar rings and they were more trouble than they were worth. Kept deflating and filling with water. Finally threw them out and went with a standard solar cover. I cut it into three pieces so it's easier to handle and works so much better it's unbelievable. And what we paid for the rings I could buy 4 solar covers and toss them each fall! Was not worth the money in my opinion!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.