Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer diverter closes suddenly

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer diverter closes suddenly

So I'm brand new to pools and just bought a house with a pool. I am trying my best to maintain it but sometimes the skimmer diverter stops allowing water to come through the skimmer. I have it set with the bottom almost completly open and initially it works. After a few hours I've been going back outside and no water is coming through the skimmer. I have to remove the diverter and play around with it for water to start coming through the skimmer.. Anyone know why this might be happening? Do I have to have the diverter on? There are two holes underneath the diverter if that means anything. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Skimmer diverter closes suddenly

I would recommend not using the diverter at all. The only thing they do is reduce flow and you really want maximum flow. You can unscrew the diverter from the float valve and still use the float valve if you want to or just remove the entire float assembly. The float protects the pump when the water level gets too low and it also helps to pull more water from the main drain although that is not always necessary.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

wow thanks for the quick reply.. i am taking the diverter out now.. also i just added a few cups of pool perfect + phosfree, how soon can i swim after?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

You don't need to wait more than a couple of minutes after using pool perfect/phos free before swimming. By the by, I wouldn't bother with pool perfect or phos free unless you have one of the problems that specifically calls for using them. Pool Perfect can be very useful if you are getting oily accumulations on the walls of the skimmer or a visible oil film on the surface of the water, but I wouldn't bother with it otherwise. And we never recommend using phosphate removers.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks! Pool was looking kinda cloudy and I wasn't sure if I was getting enough chlorine out of our tabs we have in the little floater device. Any other place to put the tabs? Can you put it in the skimmer?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

Did not realize I was responding to a thread that was 2 years old. Doh.....
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

7. Back To Top    #7

Didn't realize I was reading a post that was 2 yr But I learned about the diverter! Never could figure out what mine was good for.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!