Hot tub/Pool Leak

Jan 31, 2011
I have an inground pool with spillover hot tub. I wake up every morning before my pump kicks on to a hot tub that has lost a lot of water over night. The water level in the morning is around 8 inches lower than where it should be. I have removed the light and put putty around the light cord hole and have not seen any results. I end up running my hose in my pool for about 2 hours every week (possibly 500 gallons added). My question is, does anyone know where I should look for this leak? I'm figuring its in the under ground plumbing and would need to have a professional replace the pvc.

Thanks

The most common cause of the hot tub draining down, but the pool water level staying more or less the same, is from a dirty or defective check valve or three way valve allowing water to drain out of the hot tub and back into the pool. Examine the check valve on the return line heading towards the tub and the three way valve on the suction line from the tub to the pump for problems. That isn't by any means the only possible cause, but it is the most likely.

JasonLion said:
The most common cause of the hot tub draining down, but the pool water level staying more or less the same, is from a dirty or defective check valve or three way valve allowing water to drain out of the hot tub and back into the pool. Examine the check valve on the return line heading towards the tub and the three way valve on the suction line from the tub to the pump for problems. That isn't by any means the only possible cause, but it is the most likely.

X2. That is what my issue was when my spa was draining down.

JasonLion and Flippy - Ok so I decided to turn the hot tub return off last night and have the water return straight into the pool. I came home from work today and noticed the jets were not blowing any water only air bubbles. I went to the side of the house and realized the pump was on and sucking only air. I turned the pump off and used the hose to fill the hot tub with water back to the level it should be. I then turned the return valve back towards the hot tub followed by switching the pump back on and it started working fine. My question is there are water level sensor in hot tubs or why would my pump not want to suck water? The pool water level was fine. My other question is why was there very cloudy water returning into hot tub after this incident?

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.