Solar cover FAIL

LauleaHere&There

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2010
Rural Moloka'i, Hawai'i
Some of you may remember that I was trying to gain a little big more heat at the beginning and end of our season. I bought one of those clear, heavy-duty, 12 mil solar covers with the diamond shaped bubbles. I noticed a difference at first--got a small heat gain right away and much better night time insulation. But then...6 months later, it is literally crumbling. I pulled it out of the pool to wash the dust off after winter, and every time I grabbed an edge to pull, it came off in pieces. I know these things don't last longer than a year or two, but REALLY? Six months? This one wasn't cheap, either. Trying to find the paperwork now to see if I have any recourse with a warranty.

Is your chlorine super high? Mine usually last a couple seasons, but I don't get the diamond shaped bubbles anymore. I did once, but switched back... don't remember why... maybe because it was less durable.

Find the paper work. I have had covers replaced under warranty before. They just asked me to cut a 2x2 sample and mail it to them. Once they got it they sent me a new cover, no cost.

Mine is salt, too, so I don't think it would affect it. I have had them replaced under warranty, too. Mine are usually old enough to be pro-rated but still beats buying a new one full price. If it's only been six months I would think yours would be covered in full.

I would think it is still under warranty. It doesn't seem right. We bought the cheapest blue one we could find last summer and even left it out over the winter. It was literally frozen to the ground and full of leaves. A quick wash off and it is as good as new.

So I'm saying it doesn't sound right that it fell apart.

I found my documentation, contacted the company, and they have asked me to send a 12"x12" piece. No problem. Got plenty of pieces. They will honor the warranty, no problem. I will have to pay for shipping, though. In the meantime, I got a super-cheap bubble cover for thirteen bucks--one of the blue ones. It honestly feels like it's made from different material. So who knows what the deal is with this heavier duty one. We'll see how its replacement works out.

I switched from the diamond type to one that was the same gauge but the regular bubbles. It seems more durable and you can use a reel with it. The diamonds pick up too much water when you roll them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.