Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover FAIL

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover FAIL

Some of you may remember that I was trying to gain a little big more heat at the beginning and end of our season. I bought one of those clear, heavy-duty, 12 mil solar covers with the diamond shaped bubbles. I noticed a difference at first--got a small heat gain right away and much better night time insulation. But then...6 months later, it is literally crumbling. I pulled it out of the pool to wash the dust off after winter, and every time I grabbed an edge to pull, it came off in pieces. I know these things don't last longer than a year or two, but REALLY? Six months? This one wasn't cheap, either. Trying to find the paperwork now to see if I have any recourse with a warranty.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover FAIL

Oh goodness! I just put one of these on ours. I hope ours holds up longer than one season.

Thanks For The Heads Up,
    Jen
    Pool: Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 AGP 5061 gal With Pink Foam Underlayment
    Equipment:Intex SWG, Intex Pool Light, Still Needing To order new Intex Sand Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Is your chlorine super high? Mine usually last a couple seasons, but I don't get the diamond shaped bubbles anymore. I did once, but switched back... don't remember why... maybe because it was less durable.
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Find the paper work. I have had covers replaced under warranty before. They just asked me to cut a 2x2 sample and mail it to them. Once they got it they sent me a new cover, no cost.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MeSue
    Is your chlorine super high? Mine usually last a couple seasons, but I don't get the diamond shaped bubbles anymore. I did once, but switched back... don't remember why... maybe because it was less durable.
    No, especially over the last 6 months. Our pool is salt, though--would that make a difference?
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine is salt, too, so I don't think it would affect it. I have had them replaced under warranty, too. Mine are usually old enough to be pro-rated but still beats buying a new one full price. If it's only been six months I would think yours would be covered in full.
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

7. Back To Top    #7

I would think it is still under warranty. It doesn't seem right. We bought the cheapest blue one we could find last summer and even left it out over the winter. It was literally frozen to the ground and full of leaves. A quick wash off and it is as good as new.

So I'm saying it doesn't sound right that it fell apart.
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

8. Back To Top    #8

I found my documentation, contacted the company, and they have asked me to send a 12"x12" piece. No problem. Got plenty of pieces. They will honor the warranty, no problem. I will have to pay for shipping, though. In the meantime, I got a super-cheap bubble cover for thirteen bucks--one of the blue ones. It honestly feels like it's made from different material. So who knows what the deal is with this heavier duty one. We'll see how its replacement works out.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I switched from the diamond type to one that was the same gauge but the regular bubbles. It seems more durable and you can use a reel with it. The diamonds pick up too much water when you roll them.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit