Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new user plan to switch from baqua to chlorine today

1. Back To Top    #1

new user plan to switch from baqua to chlorine today

do they make tablets foe a chlorine dispenser that do not contain cya?
    supporter, albaltz, 20k IG, Vinyl, sand filter, Hayward pump, Automatic cover-covered most of time

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: new user plan to switch from baqua to chlorine today

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to say the answer is no.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, we have all wished to find a solid chlorine source without CYA, calcium, or other chemicals in the mix. Unfortunately, chlorine is too unstable as a stand alone solid for storage and safe handling.

4. Back To Top    #4

since the pool is covered most of time how often will I usually have to add bleach for daily maintainece? If I use tablets in the skimmer will the cya get too high? should I buy some type of chlorine dispenser for daily maintaince since the pool stays covered most of time?
    supporter, albaltz, 20k IG, Vinyl, sand filter, Hayward pump, Automatic cover-covered most of time

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

since the pool is covered most of time how often will I usually have to add bleach for daily maintainece? Perhaps twice weekly....very hard to say

If I use tablets in the skimmer will the cya get too high? Absolutely

should I buy some type of chlorine dispenser for daily maintaince since the pool stays covered most of time? I don't think you'll need it.
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

i ordered a t-100 test kit but didn't get it yet. I just got too anxious to start the conversion today and added 4 gal 6% bleach to the pool and 1 hour later checked it with a walmart oto and it was zero. Can i use the oto until my test kit comes?

7. Back To Top    #7

Pretty sure you can continue to add bleach ... your conversion will just not be as fast as you probably are not going to be able to maintain the appropriate FC levels without the good test kit. The Baqua will be using the FC way before the sun has a chance to touch it as you get started.

I assume you have read pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion to understand the process?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks. yes i have read everything on the tfp site. my kit should arrive tomorrow.

9. Back To Top    #9

You're safe to go out and add another few gallons of bleach tonight. The Baquacil's done ate up all the chlorine you added. Do the same in the morning too. Once your kit arrives then post your test results here and we'll help you out.

If you're worried about the extra "work" of adding liquid chlorine with an automatic cover....don't be. If it's covered most the time one of the main cause of chlorine lose (the sun) won't be a factor. You really shouldn't have to add much at all if it's always covered.

Welcome...and we love photo's!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

albaltz,

Uncover the pool for the conversion, at least in the daytime. You will develop combined chloramines as the chlorine kills off the baqua and you want the sun to help get rid of the CC's.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

Still converting my pool. I was interrupted by a 3 day stay in the hospital. I am well now and ready to continue. The water is more clear than any time in past 10 years but still runs fc loss of 4-5 over night and cc runs 4 to 6 each am. I have continued to add one or two gals of 10% chlorine nightly for the last 4 days. Overall have used 32 gal. Can I change the sand now or do I need to continue until chlorine loss is lower and cc are lower?

12. Back To Top    #12

Leave the sand be. There's still alot of garbage in there so you'll just end up changing it again

All is OK with you health wise?

13. Back To Top    #13

water tests past 48 hours:
    4-30-12
    6 pm: fc 0
    cc 2 ph 7.5
    2 gal 10% chlorine added at 8 pm;
    9pm fc 16
    cc 2

5-1-12
    8 am fc 12
    cc 3; ph 7.8;

7:30 pm:
    fc 0, cc 2, ph 7.5
    2 gal 10 % chlorine bleach added at 8pm;

9:00pm fc 17, cc2, ph 7.5

5-2-12 7 am
    fc 11, cc 2, ph 7.8, ta 110, ch 220. The water is absolutely clear.. perfect. There doesn't seem to bee much change the past 48 hours.

The filter pressure did not go up any at all. I back-flushed once yesterday and very minimal cloudiness in the glass, so not much being filtered now since everything is crystal clear.

Should I continue daily 2 gal bleach or can I try changing sand now?

The grand kids are anxious to swim. What fc levels are safe to swim in? How long to wait after each shock before safe to swim? See photos

14. Back To Top    #14

I sent a post at 10 am today and still no reply

15. Back To Top    #15

I think I looked at it and decided it was too hard to read with the way it is formatted ... let me try to wade through it I guess.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

16. Back To Top    #16

***Disregard most of what I wrote here, as I did not notice it was a conversion***

Well, the first thing I see is that you are not following the shock process. The FC should NEVER be allowed to get below the shock level and you repeatedly reported a FC of 0 ... so you need to be testing and adding more often if possible. Or shooting higher so it does not drop below shock level.

What is your CYA level? I do not see that listed anywhere, so there is no way for me to know what your shock level should be and therefore what FC level is safe to swim at ... you should not swim when the FC > shock level ... which is required while you are shocking.

You also seem to be showing a significant FC drop overnight, so something is consuming your FC and it is not the sun.

So, report your CYA level and then keep the FC above the correct FC level until you complete the Shocking Your Pool process

EDIT: And why do you keep asking about changing the sand ... there is not reason to do that.
    EDIT2: Just realized you are converting ... so there is a reason to change the sand eventually
    EDIT3: Ignore the link above and my comments about CYA as that is not applicable. Review the Conversion article in Pool School. Sounds like you are still in Steps 4-6. You are still loosing FC overnight so it is not time for Step 7 and sand replacement
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

You have a little further to go. I suggest only adding chlorine in the evenings at this point. When overnight FC loss is 1.0 or lower it is time to change the sand. You are fairly close to that now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

thanks. It is a conversion and cya is zero. I added chlorine tonight and fc is 16 now. Its trying to rain here and i covered the pool with my automatic cover. I hope a fc at 16 wil not harm my cover. Thank you. i had pics but couldnt get them uploaded

19. Back To Top    #19

i finished the conversion and began adding borax today. can anyone advise me where i can find out when it is safe to allow swimming after adding bleach. also is it ok to use my automatic cover after i have shocked my pool up to 13 or 15 ppm of FC? thanks for the help

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

You can swim safely in any FC content up to and including shock value....that's a good place to draw the line. Not being nosy but have you changed the filter media and allowed your FC to come back down to get an accurate pH test?
    Dave S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast