Polaris Issues

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
Hello all, I am having some trouble with my Polaris 380.. it sort of just floats around dumb and spends a lot of time leaning on it's side. Now, this is usually normal with the water is cold 45-55.. however, pool is now 75 and it is still doing it. I did a little research and read that the backup valve is suppose to only cycle on and off every four to six minutes. However, mine has always stays on and never shuts off. Ideas?

PS.. I verified already that all three wheels move even when I move one, so I do not think the issue is with the cleaner itself.

You replace the float on the back of the unit? Running around on the bottom on it's side usually means float needs replaced, IME. Also fiddle with the squirter on the back of the unit. Point it towards the side that it's leaning to, to try to get it upright again.

Your backup valve shoots water out of the little hole all the time? If so, it's broken. Good luck with a DIY repair. I couldn't even get the housing open!! I did stick something in it, to make sure the little propeller was turning properly.....I took mine off for a couple weeks, and just babysat the polaris and pulled it away from the steps when it got stuck.

Thanks.. I checked the head float and there is no water in it.. but it was set a bit back so I moved it inward.. also my thrust jet was at 1 o clock.. I moved it to 11.. if those do not work I will remove or replace the backup valve.

I think I found my issue..

7099445725_ee6dbe80ca_z.jpg

Oh and it's $99 plus tax at local pool store or $40 through Amazon.. lol

The wheels on my Polaris dont turn. I replaced the broken belts...Wheels still dont turn :(
The back up valves squirts out water constantly and there is no water squirting out to spin the "paddle wheel"
Do I have a bad back up valve?

toytalk said:
The wheels on my Polaris dont turn. I replaced the broken belts...Wheels still dont turn :(
The back up valves squirts out water constantly and there is no water squirting out to spin the "paddle wheel"
Do I have a bad back up valve?

Sure sounds like it. The backup valve should only squirt water out of the reversing hole for approximately 30 seconds every 6-8 minutes. Sounds like your revering valve is stuck and no water is getting through the the base unit.

My Polaris 380 backup valve is dribbling water out of the hole all the time, it's not a heavy flow, but steady. It does do the normal high pressure flow backup cycle every few minutes. My question is - I've noticed that the Polaris has less climbing power than it used to - it can't get up the walls to the surface anymore. Am I losing water pressure through the backup valve? Should there be no water at all flowing out that reversing hole when the backup cycle is not in progress? Note that I have done the wheel RPM test and it is almost exactly 32 RPM and I also do have the back nozzle set at 11:00. The tail sweeps normally, though I think it does not sweep as powerfully as it used to either. The wheels all spin together normally as well.

This is my first post at TFP, thanks in advance for any advice! (And sorry if this is hijacking another thread to add a question, I just thought it seemed a relevant place for anyone else looking for Polaris troubleshooting info.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
check the corners where the top meets the grey body base on the top/backside of the cleaner, the base usually splits there and it takes on water and causes it to be heavy and sink/flip over.

e78ba32b.jpg

RTV silicone, or pvc glue can patch it up after you drain the water out

foothand said:
My Polaris 380 backup valve is dribbling water out of the hole all the time, it's not a heavy flow, but steady. ... Should there be no water at all flowing out that reversing hole when the backup cycle is not in progress?
There should be no water flowing out that reversing hole when the backup cycle isn't in progress.

Sounds like you might need to replace the backup valve. If the case is in good shape and you can get it apart, you can buy just the guts of the backup valve. I have done just that and found the lowest prices on eBay.

Good luck!

CUTiger78 said:
foothand said:
My Polaris 380 backup valve is dribbling water out of the hole all the time, it's not a heavy flow, but steady. ... Should there be no water at all flowing out that reversing hole when the backup cycle is not in progress?
There should be no water flowing out that reversing hole when the backup cycle isn't in progress.

Sounds like you might need to replace the backup valve. If the case is in good shape and you can get it apart, you can buy just the guts of the backup valve. I have done just that and found the lowest prices on eBay.

Good luck!

Excellent, thanks for the info! I will look into replacing the backup valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.