Pool timer question / instruction

Apr 17, 2012
This pool I just opened and got going has two timers. One for the Polaris and one for the pump. Since I don't have a Polaris, the pool guys unhooked it. However, when they wired everything back up, my pump was on my Polaris timer. They apparently crossed time. They told me to just re-label them and all would be good. So, I got two timer dials next to each other. One with power (running the pump), the other without.

The dial is turning and I can manually override. It looks like it is working, but the pump won't turn off or one when the dial gets around to the little screw in pegs. This is my first timer so I may be doing something wrong. If I understand correctly, if the timer is in between the on/off pegs and I flip the manual switch to the left (manual over ride off), it should still run, correct.

When I tested it (set the time with the peg near the off, it would not turn off when it reached the peg. So, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong since the dail is turning. Or the pool guys wired something up wrong. It is dark so I cannot get any pictures right now, but I am about to go back out and check it. I will see if my flash will work.

Can anyone give me some 101 instructions on this timer.

Thanks in advance. Jed

If you manually move the switch it should turn the pump on or off. The peg should also move the switch when they come around to the correct spot.

It is fairly common for paired timers like that to be setup so the primary timer powers the switch on the secondary timer. So it is possible that your pump will only run if both timers are on. Of course they might have rewired that.

If you post some pictures of the wiring we can probably help you figure things out.

JasonLion said:
If you manually move the switch it should turn the pump on or off. The peg should also move the switch when they come around to the correct spot.

It is fairly common for paired timers like that to be setup so the primary timer powers the switch on the secondary timer. So it is possible that your pump will only run if both timers are on. Of course they might have rewired that.

If you post some pictures of the wiring we can probably help you figure things out.

Got it working--at least the cut off part. I removed, cleaned, etc. the pegs and put them back on and it shut off. I am going to set it in the morning to come on around 9am and see if it works. If not, I will remove the plate and post some pictures of the wiring diagram. Thanks for the information.

jed

woodyp said:
May sound stupid......but it..IS........possible to put those trip switches on backwards!

Yeah, I thought of that too. Since I did not build this pool or buy it new, I don't know what the people ahead of me did. I will set it to come one today and see if it works right now. If not, I will post some photos of the situation.

Thanks, jed

One thing--when the trip key has engaged the switch, you won't be able to move the switch manually unless you rotate the dial or wait until the trip key has done its thing and rotated past the switch. This is normal.

Durk said:
One thing--when the trip key has engaged the switch, you won't be able to move the switch manually unless you rotate the dial or wait until the trip key has done its thing and rotated past the switch. This is normal.

Very interesting you posted that. I was about to post a picture and ask a question that you mention:

Take a look at the timer on the right in the attached picture. I can flip the manual switch at any time and the pump will come on. So, right now, the manual switch is flipped to on. The timer works. It cuts on and off at the right times when the manual switch is flipped to the right (on). I don't think this is right because what's the use of having a manual switch if I leave it on all the time. I have not tried flipping the manual switch off to see if it will come on and off. That will be tomorrow I guess.

Here's the part I don't understand: If the pump is running and between the two pegs (on time) and I have the manual switch flipped to the right (on) and then I turn the manual switch off, should't the pump keep going since I'm in the middle of the "on" time?

I have confused myself!

jed

Attachments

• Timer.jpg
    Timer.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 111
It's pretty simple, the gold colored tripper will move the red (manual) lever to the off position and the silver tripper will move it to the on position. At any time, other than when it is right against either of the trips, you can manually turn the red lever on or off.

jed1894 said:
Here's the part I don't understand: If the pump is running and between the two pegs (on time) and I have the manual switch flipped to the right (on) and then I turn the manual switch off, should't the pump keep going since I'm in the middle of the "on" time?

I have confused myself!

jed

The trippers work by moving the manual switch when they are in contact with it. Once they move past, the manual switch just stays where it got put until you move the switch manually or the next key comes up. So no, if you turn the manual switch to 'off' in the middle of the 'on' cycle, the pump will turn off and stay off until the next 'on' key comes by or you manually turn it back on.

chiefwej said:
It's pretty simple, the gold colored tripper will move the red (manual) lever to the off position and the silver tripper will move it to the on position. At any time, other than when it is right against either of the trips, you can manually turn the red lever on or off.

Got it. I was missing the timer actually moving the switch back and forth. I did not think the timer would actually flip the switch for me. I got some back information from someone local. Got it now. All is good. Thanks jed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Durk said:
jed1894 said:

I have confused myself!

jed

The trippers work by moving the manual switch when they are in contact with it. Once they move past, the manual switch just stays where it got put until you move the switch manually or the next key comes up. So no, if you turn the manual switch to 'off' in the middle of the 'on' cycle, the pump will turn off and stay off until the next 'on' key comes by or you manually turn it back on.

I understand now. Thanks for explaining the switch flipping thing to me. I didn't know the timer actually flipped the switch. I got it now.

Great site!

jed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.