krcossin here in Motown

krcossin

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2007
Detroit Burbs
Hello, my name is Rob and I'm a recovering pool installer.... {hi rob}

So during my college years, my summers involved 60 hour work weeks installing AG pools. Since then many friends and family have used my knowledge and I have installed maybe 10 over the past 15 years. I even started a small company to give my unemployed uncle a job, he moved away and I didn't have the time to run it, so I have all the equipment (transit...) stored.
One of the pools I did 11 years ago was my wifes parents, a 24' Doughboy. They have been wanting to get rid of it, my wife and kids use it the most, I open/close/maintain everything for them. So I agree to relocate it to my backyard. I'm super careful with all the top rails, and when I get to removing the wall channel, I notice corrosion. Great this "free" pool just got more expensive, I already had purchased a liner on-line for it. So I purchase a new 24' Desert Spring Doughboy pool only, I don't need all the extra stuff like a liner, pump, filter...
The installation went very smooth, I had my old college buddy help me, it was a lot of fun just like the old days.
I wake up 6am see the water level is at a perfect level, shut it off back to bed. Get up the family is all checking out the new pool, I notice the ground is wet. I have tears (6-10) in the bottom cove around half the pool from using the back side of the same broom I have used hundreds of times to get out the wrinkles. Yes I put on a fresh layer of duct tape on it even up the pole a little. So I just bought a new Doughboy liner and will install asap. Oh and btw, I take apart the Hayward DE40 filter to give it a good cleaning, and notice it's cracked, so I bought the Doughboy pump and DE filter. Nice "free" pool huh?
Great having a web site like this to share.

Just hang in there and think about this summer when its hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk. You and your family swimming in a nice cool pool in YOUR back yard. 8)
You came to the right place. This is not only a great place for info but also a great support group. :goodjob:
Steve

Thanks for the welcome. Electrician should be finished tonight, plumber coming tomorrow for the gas line (wow are these expensive!). My plan is to take Thursday off work to replace the liner. I'm hosting a Memorial Day party, must have pool ready to swim for it.

Hi Rob! Sounds like the same thing that happen to us. Our neighbor across the street decided to sell his house and took down his 2 year old ABG pool and gave it to us. I had to replace the liner, and then because we had so much problems with trying to install it, we hired a contracting pool company to put it in, but that was so hard to find one that would put in a used one. Then had to turn around and buy more and more stuff cause we ran into so many problems with this and that. Geesh, after it was all said and done, it would have been easier to just buy a brand new one and they install it. Oh well, learned the hard way. But I am still glad we finally have a pool now :wink: Just waiting on my hub to finish with the deck so we can get in and out of it :lol:

Buggsw - the medication must be helping j/k.

My update: Electrician ran out of daylight last night so hopefully he finishes tonight, plumber won't come until electrician is done, oh and my heating & cooling guy (installed a new furnace over winter, a/c is disconnected) was suppose to relocate my A/C unit last week (in the way of a new door wall/patio I will be doing soon.) He is MIA, I left a voice mail for him. On top of all this, my wife's family from Southern Illinois is coming to stay with us this weekend. No pool, no air, backyard a total wreck with company and no time to pick up a shovel to progress this little project to completion. The one kinda nice thing was the plumber dropped in a yellow plastic gas line and a 1" black plastic water line in the trench and he dropped off my new facet a Moen hot/cold outside faucet - you know everyone should wash their cars with hot water power washer. BTW I have a tank less hot water system to feed this bad boy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support