Does R-003 DPD Reagent #3 go bad?

Jan 27, 2010
Central Valley, CA
Been a long week at work and have gotten home after dark. I've pestered the rest of the family to make sure they were testing and we've been at 5 FC with 0 CC. Well I pulled back the solar cover when I got home today and immediately knew we had a problem. I've bumped up to shock level but it's still showing no combined.

I'll go through shock procedures knowing TC but blind on CC. Are there any chains that carry Reagent #3? I'm West Coast so my only option may be paying $25 for 2-day delivery from tftestkits.

Anyone else had problems with reagent going bad over the winter?

It is possible to have algae growth without CC's.

What is your CYA? How old are your reagents? Have they been stored outside?

It sounds like you are fixing the problem on the R-0003 reagent but there are some other possibilities.

Last, R-0003 is one of the more common reagents and if you call around to pool stores, I think you can find it.

Reagent is probably from start of last summer season. It is normally stored inside but the girls have been known to leave it on the patio table (covered). I hadn't thought of that.

I tested an hour later after boosting to shock levels and it turned slightly pink on CC. Not what I'd expect for a green pool. I'll call around tomorrow and see if I can locate the reagent since I'm good for a while on other chemicals. I try to combine orders for shipping purposes.

I didn't express myself very well earlier. What I meant to say was it may not be your R-0003 because you can have quite a bit of algae in a pool with no cc's. It doesn't usually happen like that but it is possible.

oh, since I've bumped up to shock, should CC start showing up soon?

I'm on my third year, all BB and never had a problem until a couple months ago where i had to shock. Didn't cover the pool earlier in the winter which caused problems with the first warm spell. Covered it after I regained control and have been testing but I didn't personally look at the water since last weekend since it was an extra busy week.

If the R-0003 were to go bad, it would give a false positive, not a false negative.

Try testing your tap water for CCs. Many municipalities use monochloramine to provide a residual disinfectant in the water supply.

Just because your water is green and you have shocked, it does not mean that you will necessarily get CCs.

R-0003 DPD Reagent #3
This solution should be colorless. As it degrades, the color will become increasingly yellow.
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ontentID=2
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=26

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.