Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does R-003 DPD Reagent #3 go bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does R-003 DPD Reagent #3 go bad?

Been a long week at work and have gotten home after dark. I've pestered the rest of the family to make sure they were testing and we've been at 5 FC with 0 CC. Well I pulled back the solar cover when I got home today and immediately knew we had a problem. I've bumped up to shock level but it's still showing no combined.

I'll go through shock procedures knowing TC but blind on CC. Are there any chains that carry Reagent #3? I'm West Coast so my only option may be paying $25 for 2-day delivery from tftestkits.

Anyone else had problems with reagent going bad over the winter?
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Does R-003 DPD Reagent #3 go bad?

It is possible to have algae growth without CC's.

What is your CYA? How old are your reagents? Have they been stored outside?

It sounds like you are fixing the problem on the R-0003 reagent but there are some other possibilities.

Last, R-0003 is one of the more common reagents and if you call around to pool stores, I think you can find it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Reagent is probably from start of last summer season. It is normally stored inside but the girls have been known to leave it on the patio table (covered). I hadn't thought of that.

I tested an hour later after boosting to shock levels and it turned slightly pink on CC. Not what I'd expect for a green pool. I'll call around tomorrow and see if I can locate the reagent since I'm good for a while on other chemicals. I try to combine orders for shipping purposes.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I didn't express myself very well earlier. What I meant to say was it may not be your R-0003 because you can have quite a bit of algae in a pool with no cc's. It doesn't usually happen like that but it is possible.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

oh, since I've bumped up to shock, should CC start showing up soon?

I'm on my third year, all BB and never had a problem until a couple months ago where i had to shock. Didn't cover the pool earlier in the winter which caused problems with the first warm spell. Covered it after I regained control and have been testing but I didn't personally look at the water since last weekend since it was an extra busy week.

6. Back To Top    #6

If the R-0003 were to go bad, it would give a false positive, not a false negative.

Try testing your tap water for CCs. Many municipalities use monochloramine to provide a residual disinfectant in the water supply.

Just because your water is green and you have shocked, it does not mean that you will necessarily get CCs.

R-0003 DPD Reagent #3
    This solution should be colorless. As it degrades, the color will become increasingly yellow.
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ontentID=2
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=26

7. Back To Top    #7

It is perfectly possible to have algae and never read any CC level at any point.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks. water is more milky now than green. Will keep level up and hope filter works quickly.

9. Back To Top    #9

I did not lose FC overnight, btw. Wasn't testing for OCLT, just testing my shock level at 10pm and when I got up to begin again and it was the same. Will test again after dark tonight.