Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirty Zeobrite?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirty Zeobrite?

I decided to recharge my zeobrite this evening. Didn't know you had to do that. Anyway, I can't remember what i looked like when we installed it 3 years ago and I'm trying to decide if this is a bad color indicating the need for replacement or if it's normal. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/ ... obrite.jpg
    Thoughts, please?
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Dirty Zeobrite?

I think you are probably okay, the zeobrite is meant to trap particles so they don't make it back to the pool. If the pool is clear then you know you're chemistry is good and the filter is fine. If it starts to get cloudy out of no where with no change in chemistry then I would question the filter.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

By the by, recharging zeo media doesn't do anything useful for zeo used in a swimming pool filter. Zeo has a small capacity to absorb ammonia. When that capacity is used up you can recharge the filter allow it to capture more. However, the amount it can capture is so small that it really doesn't make any difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Well we recharged it. Can't tell that it made much of a difference, but I'm glad we cleaned the zeobrite, because it was pretty nasty.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

5. Back To Top    #5

I just had my filter open and it looked like fine tan sand. Not gooey, do you backwash frequently? I don't once every 3-4 weeks just because, my pressure over the last few years did not really climb, I only backwashed because it seemed like a long time between backwashes. though what came out was nasty.
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.