Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: oops too much chlorine, when can we swim?

1. Back To Top    #1

oops too much chlorine, when can we swim?

Hi, I think I just made a noobie mistake and I'd like some input on handling my mistake.

I decided to go with a hybrid method of sanitization, but I am totally new with the chlorine feeder so I accidentally overdosed the pool with chlorine

FC 21
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA 35

According to the CYA/chlorine chart my shock level would be a chlorine of about 15.

What level would people feel comfortable swimming? I'm thinking at the shock level.

Its the weekend and the kids probably want to swim even though the water is only 64 degrees

Maybe I should throw some bacteria in to speed up the chlorine removal just kidding.

Thanks
    15.5K inground plastered April'12. triton 60 sand filter 1.5 HP Hayward. combo triclor/bleach sanitization.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: oops too much chlorine, when can we swim?

Correct, we think's it's okay to swim up to normal shock level as long as the water is clear and CC is .5 or less.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It should only take part of a sunny day for the FC level to fall, given your CYA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

A little too much chlorine may dry your skin out. I have even seen it affect hair color. It would probably be best to shower after a swim (or hose yourself off). Generally it won't cause a problem.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Great. I'll check levels again tomorrow. I love my new T100. It should be interesting to see the amount FC drops. Sadly I get only get a short period of direct sun due to surrounding by tall trees.
    15.5K inground plastered April'12. triton 60 sand filter 1.5 HP Hayward. combo triclor/bleach sanitization.

6. Back To Top    #6

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-gu ... chart.html

Shouldn't take long.....in the mean time enjoy this reading.

7. Back To Top    #7

It's usually best to wait, however, if you really wanted to do a quick FC drop, you could use some 3 % hydrogen peroxide. 1 quart will lower the FC by 1 ppm (for a 15,500 gallon pool).

Also, if there are still tabs in the feeder, the chlorine will continue to rise until the feeder is empty. Even if you turn the feeder off, the tabs will still dissolve, and when you reopen the valve, the dissolved chlorine will boost up the chlorine level.