Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster Repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster Repair

I need to repair a small gash (3" x 1/2") in my plaster from a chair that was blown into the pool. Does anyone have any ideas on the best product or repair kit to use? Any bad or good experiences with any products?
    Mark
    IG Gunite * White Plaster * 26'9" x 14' * 310sqft * 70' Perimeter * 9300 Gallons * 2 Main Drains
    2 Skimmers * 4 Jets * Aqua Plus Control System * Aqua Rite Salt System * C3025 Cartridge Filter
    Tristar 2HP 2 Speed Pump * H400K Heater * Phantom w/Booster Pump * ColorLogic

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster Repair

Timely post as I am needing to repair a small spot also.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

3. Back To Top    #3

I did some patching before I found this site. It was (in my opinion) expensive, but is still hanging on. Ezpatch 4 FS. I also used Tile Repair Mortar from home depot to set a couple of heaved/loose/broken tiles (I did not want a bag, this is like a 1 pound tub). The ezpatch matched up to the plaster and grout fairly well. I got it online at a supplier who would be better run by untrained monkeys, so I will not recommend them, but I am sure it is available where you normally buy. I think they have a few vids on you tube.

Of course, you need to wait a little, someone else will chime in, hopefully with a better solution.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

4. Back To Top    #4

One other thing, ezpatch claims it can be applied under water, which might be true, but not by me. I had to drain (like Mike plans to).
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

5. Back To Top    #5

The 2 products I'm actually looking at are the following:

E-Z Patch 1
    or
    Pool Patch

Buford,
    I see that you used E-Z Patch 4 FS. Any particular reason you used the FS (Fast Set) ? Just curious.

If there are no other replies to this thread then I guess I'll go with E-Z Patch.
    Mark
    IG Gunite * White Plaster * 26'9" x 14' * 310sqft * 70' Perimeter * 9300 Gallons * 2 Main Drains
    2 Skimmers * 4 Jets * Aqua Plus Control System * Aqua Rite Salt System * C3025 Cartridge Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Mark: I don't recall. Probably the first on a website. Try a small area and see if the color is acceptable after setting. I had a shade problem with some product (I can't remember the name) which now looks like scale. I don't recall it setting all that fast either.

I would suggest using what you are comfortable with, and since you are draining, you will have time. I recall having some repairs difficult to stay put (walls), which required layers to get a smooth finish, but I was hanging upside down, over the edge, in the deep end. I used a rubber tile float to apply it and I probably mixed it wrong, but it still looks unnoticeable, knowing where it was applied.

It seems slow on the site today, I would guess many are working on their pool, maybe somebody will chime in later.

Good luck, and please let us know how you make out.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Buford
    I was hanging upside down, over the edge, in the deep end.
    That sounds like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Buford
    Good luck, and please let us know how you make out.
    Will do.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

I recently used some hydraulic cement on my painted concrete pool. I have a concrete pool that is coated with something and painted. I'm not sure if it's plaster or not. The hydraulic cement is holding so far. However, it is very dark in color. I opened up the crack to let the cement in. I'm not sure if this would work in your case--just a suggestion you might want to check.

jed

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jed1894
    I recently used some hydraulic cement on my painted concrete pool. I have a concrete pool that is coated with something and painted. I'm not sure if it's plaster or not. The hydraulic cement is holding so far. However, it is very dark in color. I opened up the crack to let the cement in. I'm not sure if this would work in your case--just a suggestion you might want to check.

jed

I purchased E-Z Patch already. I probably won't be able to do it for another week or so but I'll try and update this thread when I'm through.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

I made the repair a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be holding just fine. Very easy to use too. Thanks Everyone.
    Mark