Pressure Gauge for Sand Filter?

ED-209

Apr 2, 2012
Florida Panhandle
Greetings everyone,

Gotta another question (I know, surprise surprise LOL)

When I got my Sand Filter (in signature below) installed in December 2011 I noticed they plugged the opening where the pressure gauge went and when I asked they told me they have so many issues with them, usually leaking or breaking after winter season, they just stopped installing them but I could come by and pick it up if I wanted it and install it myself. I asked how do I tell when I need to backwash and he said to just do it every 2 to 3 weeks.

So after learning the ways of BBB and TFP I didn't know if I should get a pressure gauge, which size and if I just unscrew the plug and screw in the gauge and if I use plumber's tape? I think they used silicone to seal around the plug.

My previous filter had one, not same type, and I had it for more than one winter season and it never broke or leaked.

I have been backwashing every 2 or 3 weeks and it hasn't been real dirty while backwashing. Also I will be getting a screen pool cage installed in about 2 weeks so even less debris will exist so didn't know if I should even mess with getting one?

Thanks for the help and expertise and hope this is the right thread to post this in, if not apologies :)

I think the gauge is an essential part of your filtering system. I also think they are dunderheads for telling you it wasn't important. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, the fitting is almost always 1/4" npt and about three turns of teflon tape around the threads should be all you need to seal it.

As soon as you get it in, backwash thoroughly and record the psi. That is your clean psi or "starting point". Then backwash whenever the psi get about 25% higher that your starting point.

Send your filter supplier to Pool School :hammer: :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.