Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure Gauge for Sand Filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure Gauge for Sand Filter?

Greetings everyone,

Gotta another question (I know, surprise surprise LOL)

When I got my Sand Filter (in signature below) installed in December 2011 I noticed they plugged the opening where the pressure gauge went and when I asked they told me they have so many issues with them, usually leaking or breaking after winter season, they just stopped installing them but I could come by and pick it up if I wanted it and install it myself. I asked how do I tell when I need to backwash and he said to just do it every 2 to 3 weeks.

So after learning the ways of BBB and TFP I didn't know if I should get a pressure gauge, which size and if I just unscrew the plug and screw in the gauge and if I use plumber's tape? I think they used silicone to seal around the plug.

My previous filter had one, not same type, and I had it for more than one winter season and it never broke or leaked.

I have been backwashing every 2 or 3 weeks and it hasn't been real dirty while backwashing. Also I will be getting a screen pool cage installed in about 2 weeks so even less debris will exist so didn't know if I should even mess with getting one?

Thanks for the help and expertise and hope this is the right thread to post this in, if not apologies
    15,500 Gallons IG Vinyl Sports Pool
    300 (80 GPM) Haywood High Rate Sand Filter (S244T) | Haywood EcoStar 2" Variable Speed Pump (Sp3400VSP)
    :)Running TroubleFree Pool since 4/6/2012, thanks to Pool School, Pool Calculator, TFTeskits and the kind and helpful members here, truly can't say thanks enough :)
    I now actually ENJOY taking care of my pool and being in control and understanding and my pool is grateful as well

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pressure Gauge for Sand Filter?

I think the gauge is an essential part of your filtering system. I also think they are dunderheads for telling you it wasn't important.

So, the fitting is almost always 1/4" npt and about three turns of teflon tape around the threads should be all you need to seal it.

As soon as you get it in, backwash thoroughly and record the psi. That is your clean psi or "starting point". Then backwash whenever the psi get about 25% higher that your starting point.

Send your filter supplier to Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I recommend a 0-30 psi gauge. Most sand filters run about 10 to 12 psi clean so 30 psi is plenty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't want to swap it out every season or so get a liquid filled gauge. A little more expensive, but worth it. If you winterize you could always remove it from the filter in the winter and store it in side with the rest of the pool stuff.
    I've got something like this on mine: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 8296_48296
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. I was gonna call them to get my free one but too scared it would be used so will either order one or pick one up.

I agree, they need to take a lot of classes on this site's pool school.
    15,500 Gallons IG Vinyl Sports Pool
    300 (80 GPM) Haywood High Rate Sand Filter (S244T) | Haywood EcoStar 2" Variable Speed Pump (Sp3400VSP)
    :)Running TroubleFree Pool since 4/6/2012, thanks to Pool School, Pool Calculator, TFTeskits and the kind and helpful members here, truly can't say thanks enough :)
    I now actually ENJOY taking care of my pool and being in control and understanding and my pool is grateful as well

6. Back To Top    #6

You could always take it out when you close the pool for the season as well. That's what I do...
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter