Inground Pool not deep enough and Light off center

Dec 16, 2011
Kitty Hawk, NC
The cement for our Pool was shot yesterday and it is not the depth we agreed to. The waterline depth to the bottom of the pool was supposed to be 3.5 feet to 5.5 feet. The top of the cement to the bottom of the pool at the shallow end is only 3 feet and only 5 feet at the deep end which means the finished depth is going to about 9 inches less than we contracted for. The PB says they can add cement to the existing top to make up this short fall. Also, all of the steps were to have an 8 inch rise with the first step being 18 inches deep and the other 3 steps being 12 inches deep (there is a 6 foot x 30 inch bump out for the first 2 steps. However, the builder only built 3 steps at 12 inches deep each. The last thing that is wrong is the the pool light was centered on the side of the pool that has the 16.5 foot width for the steps and it should have been centered on the 14 foot width which is the with that runs most of the length of the pool.

Questions: Can the PB add framing to the existing pool and then pour more concrete to get the depth of the pool correct. What long term impact could this have on the pool, particularly where the 2 skimmers are that will need to moved up and along the entire perimeter where the second pour was added? Can the steps be corrected by pouring over the existing steps? Can the the concrete be cut to and the existing light hole filled in to properly center the light? If this where your pool what would you expect the PB to do to rectify the issue? Can It be patched or does it need to be dug up and repoured? :(

What a mess! What effect will it have on the existing landscape? What kind of slopes will you end up with the pool being nine inches higher in relations to the ground around it?

I would be concerned structurally as well but I am not in a position to say it can't be done. My first reaction is I wouldn't want my pool to have that much patchwork.

Wow... Sorry for you!

I think it might be easier to have them redo the bottom of the pool by breaking up the concrete and digging deeper, than doing the alternatives they have suggested... Whatever you do, don't settle. Make sure you get what you contracted for - or be happy with it.

duraleigh said:
What a mess! What effect will it have on the existing landscape? What kind of slopes will you end up with the pool being nine inches higher in relations to the ground around it?

I would be concerned structurally as well but I am not in a position to say it can't be done. My first reaction is I wouldn't want my pool to have that much patchwork.

The landscaping is being redone and a small retaining wall being built about 20 feet from the deep end of the pool so we will just need to backfill a little deeper. I think for the most part landscaping will not be a big issue if the pool is higher. Structural integrity is my biggest concern.

griff3333 said:
Wow... Sorry for you!

I think it might be easier to have them redo the bottom of the pool by breaking up the concrete and digging deeper, than doing the alternatives they have suggested... Whatever you do, don't settle. Make sure you get what you contracted for - or be happy with it.

If the bottom is dug out won't all the rebar need to be cut that runs up the side of the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.