Bromine to chlorine, back to bromine?

Apr 20, 2012
I switched from bromine to chlorine a couple of years ago. I have never been able to keep the chlorine levels up and I have had problems with algae. After doing some reading, I guess it wasn't a smart thing to do.

My brominater cracked and it was so expensive !! I am considering going back to bromine. Can it be easily done? Any other suggestion?

Welcome to tfp, Kathy G. :wave:

The problem with using Bromine in a pool is can't be stabilized against sunlight. With that said, it can be used in pools, but it will mean higher chemical costs.

Maybe we can help with your difficulty keeping your chlorine levels "up". I you would like post a full set of test results for us to look at. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/read_before_you_post

If you were on bromine, then you're still on bromine. Any chlorine added to a pool containing bromide will convert the bromide to bromine and the chlorine to chloride.

Since bromine is not stabilized by cyanuric acid, the sunlight will burn out the bromine at a pretty good rate.

JamesW said:
If you were on bromine, then you're still on bromine. Any chlorine added to a pool containing bromide will convert the bromide to bromine and the chlorine to chloride.

I have never dealt with bromine pools/spas, but I am not sure that is true in this case :?:

Since this pool has had no bromine added for a couple of years (Kathy, how many exactly?), according to JasonLion in this post http://www.troublefreepool.com/chlorine-added-to-bromine-pool-becomes-bromine-t23012.html#p189418, if no bromine has been added for a couple years, the bromine may be gone now (assuming this is an outdoor pool). If Kathy used bromine tablets, it seems that bromine disappearing from the pool might take longer (Kathy, did you use tabs?).

As to how to tell for sure it has no bromine left, I do not know for sure, but doing some searching on here suggests you might know by allowing your measurable FC go to 0 ppm, then dosing with MPS, then testing using the FAS/DPD test and if there is some measurable Free Bromine, then the bromine bank still exists?

Again, I do not know for sure...hopefully others will comment.

Kathy, I would urge you to order a test kit from TFTest Kits and read Pool School for the next 2 weeks. By that time, you'll be ready to open your pool. With your new test kit, new education from Pool School, and 24/7 access to the expert mods and contributors (myself excluded other than to recommend a test kit) on this site, you will soon have a trouble free chlorine pool and never look back. Good luck, and WELCOME to TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.