Skimmer not sucking as strong as other skimmer

Apr 17, 2012
I've been reading some searched topics on this but I thought I'd give the specifics on my issue to see if I could get some advice.

History: bought a foreclosed property with gunite pool (I think around 30K gal). It has two skimmers and a bottom drain. The pool has been abandoned for about 4 years. I tried to clean the skimmers as best I could but I still saw dirt in the drain. I could not get it all out. It was very dirty before I cleaned it all out. I put a new 1 HP motor on the pool (Pentair or something like that). The only thing I have not changed is the sand filter.

Problem: (or may be normal) When I turn on the pump (sucking from skimmers and bottom drain), all is good. Pump runs good. The skimmer that is closest to the pump seems to suck water fine. The other skimmer (across the pool on the other end) -- farther from pump -- sucks water but not at the same rate. It is noticably less suction. It is pulling water, but just barely enough to pull in the floating debris when it passes the skimmer. Most debris just floats on by unless it's real close.

Things I've tried: amoung turning off and on, backwashing, etc. I cut off the main drain and ran it off the two skimmers. It was a little slow to prime, but it primed on up and ran with just the two skimmers. The rate of suction on the skimmer in question did suck a little stronger with the main drain closed off. Other than getting a little air when I iniatially start the pump after being off, it runs good.

So, I either have a partial clog or this is normal. Keep in mind that this skimmer is a pretty good distance from the pump. Also note that this pool has been off and the skimmer has been exposed to the elements and dry. It was full of trash when I cleaned it out. A good night or two soaking in water may do the trick.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ther is a device you can purchase that will sit in the bottom of the closest skimmer and force the other skimmer to pull equally. it is adjustable and works very well. I can't find it or name it right now but I will.....perhaps someone else can name it while I am looking.

duraleigh said:
Ther is a device you can purchase that will sit in the bottom of the closest skimmer and force the other skimmer to pull equally. it is adjustable and works very well. I can't find it or name it right now but I will.....perhaps someone else can name it while I am looking.

Interesting. I see a flap that is screwed down between two holes in the bottom of each skimmer. The pool man told me the extra holes were blocked. But I can move the flap over a little I guess. If this is normal (less suction on the farthest skimmer), I'm okay with that....just worried about a blockage.

thanks, jed

If this is not normal, I had three ideas that come to mind.

1. Attaching my Hayward 1 HP pump (homemade vacuum) with a vacuum hose down in the skimmer hole.
2. Or using a shop vac.
3. Snake (but that would push it on into the pump side).

Also, I've been reading about a "drain king" but I have ball valves installed at the pump (my mistake I know now) and would have cut PVC to blow from the pump side.

thanks, jed

Sounds like you have a flap built in that is on the float diverters previously mentioned. Try closing the nearer Skimmer a little and see of things equalize.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

That's normal. I have the same problem on my pool, except I don't have a bottom drain. The reason is you lose suction with the longer run of pipe to the further skimmer. The little flap that rotates, should allow you to semi or completely close off the closer skimmer to allow more suction from the further one, if you like.

If you close it all the way and the suction from the far skimmer doesn't increase, then you might have another problem.

chiefwej did my homework for me. I forgot that pic was in there. Yeah, it's a diverter and will allow you to balance the two flows by adjusting the opening on the bottom of the diverter. Clever device that works like a charm.

Thanks to everyone who posted. This site is great! I will try the suggestions and see if the suction changes any. I think I already tried that but in a different way. I closed off the bottom drain and the suction increased. So, I'm sure the closest skimmer closed off would do the same, but I'll try anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.