Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: Should the SWG be routed to the Spa?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 80.00%
  • No

1 20.00%

Thread: SWG to Spa or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG to Spa or not?

There has been some debate recently over the correct location of the SWG relative to the Spa. Some say that if the SWG runs to the spa, it will overchlorinate. Others maintain that the spa needs some sort of chlorination.

I'm sure there is no 100% correct answer and it depends on the use, etc. but I am interested in what you all have to say about it. My question is:

- With the intellichlor and Intellitouch automation, can I 'turn down' the chlorination in spa mode?

If this were possible, then the problem could be solved -- water chlorinated, but not overchlorinated.

The Intellichlor manual states that it should be before the pool/spa 3-way valve to chlorinate the spa and to keep gas vrom building up in the pipes.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

2. Back To Top    #2
    My SWG is plumbed to chlorinate the spa (i.e. before the 3-way). However, my controller (AquaLogic) has two different settings, one for the pool and one for the spa. This way I can set the exact chlorine level I need to each.

A spa will require higher chlorine levels than the pool because of the heat, the lower volume and higher bather load. I don't know about the controller you chose but I would definitely make sure it has multiple settings.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3
    The IntelliTouch automatically adjusts the SWG output level when in spa mode, so it is appropriate to place the cell before the pool/spa return split when using a supported SWG (which includes the IntelliChlor and a couple of others) with the IntelliTouch.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks! That's what I needed to know. If there is a spa mode It makes sense to use it. Is the sp mode an adjustable setting? Can the 'percent' setting be selected for both pool and spa or does it just reduce the setting from where the pool setting is?

Thanks
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)

5. Back To Top    #5
    The IntelliTouch uses a fixed ratio. Spa mode automatically goes to 1/20th of the percentage of pool mode.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The IntelliTouch uses a fixed ratio. Spa mode automatically goes to 1/20th of the percentage of pool mode.
    That's probably about right! The pool is about 20,000 and I'd guess the spa about 800 or so....

Steve

7. Back To Top    #7

In my system, the valve to switch between pool and spa return is after the SWCG. In my controller (Easytouch) I have the ability to set the SWCG run time % seperately for pool or spa mode. I set spa mode to 0% however. In my case I think this is the correct choice because I have an in-floor cleaning system. All of the return flow in 'pool' mode is through the in-floor system. It constanty cycles though 6 seperate zones, one of which is the spa. This means whenever the pump is running in pool mode the spa gets regular water circulation from the pool. I'm not too concerned about the chlorine dissipation from the spa while we're using it. Spa use is for such relatively short durations and goes back into circulation when we're done.

I'm curious how it works though in pools which don't have an in-floor cleaning system... does the spa water circulate ONLY when in spa mode?
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    In my EasyTouch system, I think it works that way initially but you have the ability to manually override the setting to have complete control over pool mode and spa mode SWCG run %. I'm guessing the Intellitouch is the same way since it's an upgrade to the EasyTouch.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.