2 speed pump time not sure what to get

May 20, 2011
Sacramento, Ca
My ten year old pump is giving up the ghost so time to upgrade. Tried a few things to get keep it going, here is the thread: filter-pump-electric-motor-problems-t42330.html

So my filter pump is still limping along, but looking to upgrade. I am thinking two speed for sure, maybe a new electric motor, maybe entirely new pump. And I think my existing pump/motor is bigger than I need.

Existing specs on my setup:
10 year old pool and equipment
17,000 gallons in ground plaster pool with in ground spa
Sta-rite filter pump Max-E-Glas-ll pump, high head, http://www.poolplaza.com/C-Sta-Rite-Pumps.html upper left pump, no longer manufactured
filter pump motor, 240v-A. O. Smith 1.0 HP sf-1.65 square flange replacement pump: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool...smith/century/squareflange/products/B2848.htm
Booster pump for polaris 280 cleaner
separate jet pump for spa
separate water fall pump
Big Sta Rite Cartridge filter-model s8m150-max pressure 50psi, max flow rate 125 gpm
2 inch PVC suction and discharge both, pump is maybe 30 feet from pool, same elevation
Jandy 1400 SWG
Electricity rate: 14 cents/kwh average
Jandy Aqualink RS6 controller in the house, Jandy switch/relay cabinet next to pumps.
Thinking of adding solar to the roof (1 story house) this or next summer

With the big high flow rate (I think) system and all my auxiliary pumps, I only run the filter pump 4-5 hours a day. This is mainly to so the SWG keeps the chlorine level up. Pool sparkles at a 4-5 hour run time (using BBB method) in the summer. So I figure the I am getting plenty of turn over in 5 hours. But I think the 10 year old 1.65 THP pump motor is sucking a lot of electricity (and is dying) so I am looking to upgrade.

Option 1: Just replace the pump motor in kind: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool...smith/century/squareflange/products/B2848.htm
Pros: Cheap fix ($225) and I know it works, plenty of power for solar on the roof.
Cons: Sucks electricity but should be better than my 10 year old electric motor.

Option 2: Get a 2 speed motor and keep the old pump: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupplies/poolmotors/products/EB982.htm
Pros: Still cheap ($300), 2 speed, more efficient, saves on electricity.
Cons: Still using 10 year old pump, may need to install switch, not sure how to wire to existing Jandy RS6, might not work with solar on slow speed.

Option 3: Get a new pump and motor, say a superflo : http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupplies/poolpumps/manufacturer/Pentair/products/340042.htm
Pros: ($475) not to expensive, new efficient pump, probably work with solar, start on high, the switch to low speed, energy efficient
Cons: Not as big as my existing pump (but I think existing is over sized), Need to re-plumb PVC (not that hard), Need timer or way to interface with Jandy RS6

Option 4: Just get the near Cadillac model : http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupplies/poolpumps/manufacturer/Pentair/products/011018.htm
Pros: very efficient variable speed, should work fine with solar, has built in timer
Cons: getting pricey ($900), probably will not interface with Jandy Rs6,

So at this point I am leaning towards option 3, assuming it is big enough to do what I want. A 3/4 HP fully rated pump may do what I need to. I do what some safety factor for the solar panels in the future. And the whole interfacing with my Jandy Aqualink RS6 has me worried to.

Opinions welcome.

Charlie.

I am actually going to be getting Option 3 for myself to replace an old Hayward RS1500 that I think is going to die on me shortly (overheats itself). I have seen it closer to $400 BTW. Since you have larger plumbing than I do, you could get the smallest Whisperflo pump that are very efficient moving water ... although confirm if you can wire in the 120V. I am getting the Superflo because my plumbing is 1.5" and I need to have a 240V pump due to the wiring to my pool pad.

Your solar will be more efficient heating on high speed, but the low may still be able to run it after it is primed.

I think there is an interface that you can buy to make the intelliflo work with the other automation systems.

If you're thinking variable speed, I'd recommend going with the jandy flopro so at least you have the option of upgrading your automation board to work with the pump. Otherwise, your speeds are limited to the amount of open relays you have. Of course, you shouldn't need more than a couple speeds anyways, so that may not be an issue for you.

Regarding option #3, the link is showing a Superflo not a Whisperflo but it is still a good choice and more than sufficient for 1 story solar. The Whisperflo WFDS-3/24 is also a good choice and would provide a higher flow rate with about the same energy factor as the Superflo. However, with solar, you want the smallest HP pump possible because you will need to run at high speed when solar is engaged so the Superflo would save a bit more on energy costs.

Regarding option #4, the VS doesn't need to interface with the Jandy, it has its own timer so you can program any speed for any run time. However, you won't have a remote for the speeds either. But since you have separate pumps for the other features, that is probably not such a big deal.

mas985 said:
Regarding option #3, the link is showing a Superflo not a Whisperflo
OOPS! Your are right, I was groggy last night. Edited my post.

mas985 said:
However, with solar, you want the smallest HP pump possible because you will need to run at high speed when solar is engaged so the Superflo would save a bit more on energy costs
So running the pump on high with the solar engaged is to get max heat in the pool, which is what I want. Running the filter pump in the winter on low should save me some money. But on the other hand the whisperflo does seem to been the pump of choice around here.

mas985 said:
Regarding option #4, the VS doesn't need to interface with the Jandy, it has its own timer so you can program any speed for any run time
Excellent point. All my other systems, including solar could run from the Jandy RS6 controls. But my cleaner (booster pump) has a delay start while it waits for the filter pump to prime, not sure about how that would work in this situation.

Thanks very much for the input. I think I am leaning towards option 3 with a either a superflo 1 hp 2 speed pump or the 3/4 hp whisperflo 2 speed pump.

It seems I may need to hire a pool tech/company to take a look at my Jandy RS6 system and see if I have the available programming to handle a two speed pump from the existing controller. I think I have room for another aux breaker in my cabinet but the instructions for my RS6 are not clear about being able to toggle between high and low speed on the filter pump. My instructions actually show RS8 on the cover and has one little blurb about low speed/highspeed, but it is not very clear.

Charlie.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.