Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie from Middletown,Ohio

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie from Middletown,Ohio

Hi everyone
    my name is Mike i have been lurking and reading and learning about pools from this fabulous website for about a month, last year i bought a intex 18x52 round agp with the 1600 sand filter and have recently purchased a swg as a add on. The pool is still in the box in the garage while i build the privacy fence and prepare the site.
    i plan on doing the BBB method as a matter of fact i just bought 6-182 oz bottles of lowes brand bleach at 6% for 2.96 a piece and am going back to get 6 more tomar,
    to get a jump on the cost of opening it within the next few weeks. i am going to order one of the good test kits to try to do this right the first time, my first question is should i open the pool using the BBB method and get all the levels to where they should be and then start using the swg?. i will be filling the pool with city water i was wondering if i should take a sample to a pool store to check it for all the different things so i know where i stand with the quality of the water till my test kit gets here?
    I'm gonna have a million other questions because i want to do this right and i know the people on this site know what they are talking about, thanks for the information in advance.....once again awesome site everyone!!!!! Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie from Middletown,Ohio

Welcome to tfp, fast 1971chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by fast1971chevelle
    my first question is should i open the pool using the BBB method and get all the levels to where they should be and then start using the swg?
    You do not have to get everything perfect before turning on the swg. Use bleach/liquid chlorine to get up to your target FC range, then start the swg (after you salt has disolved). Make sure you ph is adjusted and you start getting some CYA in the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by fast1971chevelle
    i will be filling the pool with city water i was wondering if i should take a sample to a pool store to check it for all the different things so i know where i stand with the quality of the water till my test kit gets here?
    Probably not necessary, but it wWon't hurt to do that, unless they get you to buy a bunch of stuff.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: newbie from Middletown,Ohio

They are not going to trick me into buying anything I have this great site and It's members to lead me to my tropical promise land......lol. t/y for the advice......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all